Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 9, 2008, 5:42 PM   #1

Hey guys, I just wanted to followup in regards to my previous post. I receive my lens this week but unfortunately had a busy few days so I haven't had much time to work with it. Everything seems good with it and it attaches and detaches perfectly on my ist DS (no flange or pin issues). The lens was made it 1989 and is in great condition. I'll post some pics of it. I need some help with the settings though. I'm still working on understanding the AV, TV, F stuff so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
maverick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2008, 5:50 PM   #2

Sorry for the crudeness of the photos. Kinda rushed them. And there isn't a AF in the side like the stock photo they used.

Attached Images

Old Aug 9, 2008, 5:52 PM   #3

Second.
Attached Images

Old Aug 9, 2008, 5:52 PM   #4

Third
Attached Images

Old Aug 9, 2008, 5:53 PM   #5

Fourth.
Attached Images

Old Aug 9, 2008, 8:07 PM   #6

Hi Maverick, it will work fine on your camera but you will have a couple of extra steps. It does not have an A setting on the aperture ring so you will need to use the camera in M mode. You will need to set your aperture on the lens (the aperture ring is closest to where the camera mounts to the lens). Once you compose your shot you will need to tell the camera to take a meter reading to set the shutter speed. On a K10 or K20 you do this by pressing the green button near the shutter button. ON a K100 and, I presume, a K200 you press the AE-L button on the rear of the camera. You can now take the shot. The camera will keep the same shutter speed so you only need to take another meter reading when you choose another subject or the light changes. You can also use the control dial to control shutter speed if you find the camera's metering choice is under or over exposed.

It sounds like extra work but it is actually a great way to learn about exposure. Pay attention to the shutter speeds the camera is choosing in any given light and you will start being able to predict a rough idea of your exposure even before you meter. This comes in handy even with more advanced lenses and camera modes.

As a side note, you can use this lens in Av mode, however, the lens will always stay at maximum aperture and you will not get the best results. As a second side note, if you have not yet set your camera up to work with older M lenses you will need to do that before the lens will work with your camera. It is a simple matter of changing one setting in the menu: Go into the Menu, go the the Custom "C" tab, and scroll down to "Using Aperture Ring" Set that to permitted (default is prohibited) and you are good to go.

Hope that helps, ask if you have more questions. We love old manual focus lenses here.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 8:32 PM   #7

Maverick, you also mentioned having trouble understanding the different modes on your camera, so let me mention that briefly too. For every mode except M, you need a lens that can communicate back to the camera. On Pentax cameras that is accomplished with electronic pins on the mount. A manual focus lens with the necessary electronic contact is called a KA mount, it is the same as a K mount with the addition of the contact. All of the AF lenses will have the necessary contacts to communicate back to your camera. Your lens is a K mount without the contact.

Using a KA mount lens you can use the other settings besides M (Manual).
Av- Probably the most popular judging by posts here and photographers I have spoken to. You decide the aperture setting and the camera decides the shutter speed for a good exposure. If you have the ISO set to Auto the camera will also set the sensor sensitivity. I use this mode the most and it is most useful if your primary concern is controlling depth of field, getting the best sharpness that your lens can produce, or really any time you don't need Tv mode. At least 90% of my shooting is in Av mode.

Tv - This is the opposite side of the balance from Av. You control the shutter speed and the camera decides the Aperture to give you correct exposure. If ISO is set to auto it will also determine sensor sensitivity. This is useful when you are need a minimum shutter speed for moving subjects (sports) or if you want to set a slow shutter speed to get some motion blur or to pan with a moving subject.

Because Av and Tv are two different sides of a balancing scale, you are really controlling both by the choices you make. If you make your aperture smaller then your shutter speed will be slower. If you make your aperture larger then your shutter speed will be faster.

B is bulb mode. You use this for really long exposures and it is only useful with a tripod or some kind of steady rest and a remote. The shutter stays open as long as you hold down the shutter button.

P is Program mode. I have not used it much. On the K20d it lets you control Av with one dial and Tv with the other, but the camera still keeps the balance to give you correct exposure (ie: if you change Tv the camera will change Av to match, even if you just adjusted Av). TAv works similarly but the camera only tries to keep balance by changing the ISO. TAv is only on the K20d and is another mode I don't use.

M- Manual mode gives you complete control over all the settings. You can tell the camera to take a meter reading and suggest settings but you can change them as you see fit. M mode allows you to take a grossly over or under exposed image.

There is a book called Understanding Exposure that is highly recommended that explains this kind of thing better than I could. Once you "get it" it all suddenly makes sense.

Tim

The K20d has some
Old Aug 9, 2008, 8:43 PM   #8

I use AV mode most of the time with my manual lenses. All I do is set the Aperture to where I want it with the Aperture ring on the lens and the camera sets the shutter speed. I use a K10D and just about never use the green button or the AE-L button. Just my way. Maybe not the best way ,,,but my way. Don't be afraid to try all those buttons and settings. Ain't nuthin' but free film in the digital world. If the photos are no good then delete and try-try again. Above all have fun. Oh yeah that looks to be a Cosina made lens. Not the very best but still a good lens. You'll like it!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 9:56 PM   #9

Dawg,
My understanding may be wrong but I believe if you are using Av mode with an M lens it will only use the widest aperture, it does not matter what value you set the aperture ring to. Now if the lens does not have the mechanical lever to control the aperture (like those really cheap 500mm lenses) Av will work perfectly but not on an M lens with the mechanical lever.

I initially thought the same way you do but someone else on this forum corrected me. I tested it and found that changing the aperture ring in Av mode did not change the exposure, even with the shutter speed staying constant.

Tim
Old Aug 9, 2008, 10:58 PM   #10

Man, thank you all for the great info. Thanks for the tips Tim! Now do I have to change the aperture ring setting back when I switch to my AF lens? Just curious. I got it to work without any problems though! I'll fool around with the M and Av to see which one works. I do like the AE-L button for the metering in manual mode. Pretty cool.

Another question. Do many of you use a uv filter? I've read that a lot of people use them and even leave them on all the time. Does that effect the lighting at all?

Thanks guys!