Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 9, 2008, 7:51 PM   #1

I now have a K10D. For those of you who have a battery grip for the K10D or k20 would you do it again, or spend your money in a different way?

Just wondering.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2008, 9:44 PM   #2

Well…
This is just my opinion but, I'd rather put the money towards another lens. Unless you just really want to add extra weight and bulkiness, I don't see any advantage. It only takes a few seconds to change a battery.:-)GW

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:27 PM   #3

I had never had a battery grip before, but when I bought the K10D last year, I bought one to try out.

Since then, it has only ever been off the camera once.

I found that the extra size and weight balances out the camera with longer lenses and makes it more comfortable to hold.

I also found that since at least 60% of my shots are vertical, I don't get cramp in my hand anymore.

It is also nice to know that I can shoot for at least 1000 shots without changing the battery, plus I also know I have a spare card with me at all times.

I would definitely recomend the battery grip.

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:27 PM   #4

I makes the camera easier to use in my opinion for verticle shots which is more important than the extra battery, SD card and remote it has a spot for.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:54 AM   #5

It's pretty much a matter of personal preference.

I have small hands, so the extra size holds no advantage for me. The extra weight, for me at least, is more of a detriment than any advantage gained in improved balance. I haven't run into a situation where I didn't have time to change batteries, but I could imagine some. The memory card and IR remote storage is very reassuring and convenient, but I always have lots of pockets.

I have one, and have used it enough to justify keeping it. It's a nice accessory, but I generally prefer the camera without it.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 9:51 AM   #6

Well… there you go Bowenp.
Several different views to help complicate matters.:blah:
Like Scott says, it really is a matter of personal preference. I should qualify my answer by saying I have never tried one so I can't really attest to the advantage or disadvantage of the extra size or weight, I'm only assuming. Also thinking back, there have been times when I have just grabbed my camera to go for a walk and discovered that I didn't have a memory card in the camera or my battery went dead just when I needed it. Sooo, at those time I would have been real happy to have had one. That said, it's still at the bottom of my list until I get the "must haves":-)
GW

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:41 AM   #7

I love this forum. Not as active as some of you, butit is so nice to have a place to ask questions and opinion's without having to relay on a sales rep who benefits from a purchase.

Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:46 AM   #8

At $150 it is fairly expensive (about 40 gallons of gas!!) but if you do a lot of vertical shooting, I think it is worth the price. If you do not, I find it makes the camera larger than I like and I don't normally use it.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:59 AM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I have the grip for the K20D and have never taken it off except to access the battery in the main body. Given the small size of the Pentax bodies, the grip provides a comforatble area to wrap your pinkie finger around. It adds weight though. However, I like the ability to shoot portrait style without twisting my wrist as well as the additional battery capacity it provides. As Tom mentioned, for $150, it is a relatively inexpensive accesory from which I am getting a lot of use.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:24 PM   #10

Personal preference is right. I know many that swear by it but I don't think I'll ever get or use one.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote