Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 10, 2008, 8:43 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

It's not the lens but rather the camera. I shoot almost exclusively in manual or auto aperture mode and sometime in the last year unbeknowns to me the inside shifter that moves the lens lever or holds it open has stopped functioning. How do I know? the Kit lens won't move the f stop when I tell it to. Or at least the lens stays wide open. As I move the f/stop up the shutter speed goes down but that just makes for an over exposure as the f/ stop stays open. So this means the new to me Vivitar's A mode won't work either...not that I use it that much...Only thing to do is send it off to be repaired....Dummy me ...I just almost never use it that way (full auto or A mode) on the lens. I checked and there are no scatches or bends or deformation there but it just doersn't work. Thanks for helping find this. Live and learn I say!

Dawg
Attached Images
 
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 8:43 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

Well guys, I hope you don't mind if I weigh in here and confuse things further.:lol:
I'm still learning too. My first question is how does the AV mode work, isn't the lens suppose to report to the body what the lighting is via an electrical contact so the body knows what shutter speed to choose? I'm kinda confused since I don't have my camera here to refer to as I try to follow along.:-?
From the examples I see posted, Dawgs show a definite change in DOF where Tims don't seem to change, which seems weird.
GW

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 9:04 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Well guys, I hope you don't mind if I weigh in here and confuse things further.:lol:
I'm still learning too. My first question is how does the AV mode work, isn't the lens suppose to report to the body what the lighting is via an electrical contact so the body knows what shutter speed to choose? I'm kinda confused since I don't have my camera here to refer to as I try to follow along.:-?
From the examples I see posted, Dawgs show a definite change in DOF where Tims don't seem to change, which seems weird.
GW
It tells the camera where the F/stop is set so the camera can preset the proper shutter speed. With a manual lens the green button moves the aperture to the position set by the operator so the camera can set the preset the shutter speed for a good exposure. that's by using the AE-L button to lock it! My lever inside the camera doesn't hold the aperture open so hitting the green button doesn't stop down the aperture blades. They manually move and stay where I'm setting them. Defective inside lever is the answer.

Dawg


bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 9:55 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

In addition...With the Kit lens on I now have almost no light coming into the lens. It is at a closed position. When I hit the DOF preview lever it does nothing. The aperture should be open and then close down when the DOF preview is engaged. I can hear the solenoid or switch working but there is no movement of the Aperture blades. With my Bigma on and set in Auto aperture at the lens...There is no open aperture now. It was open when I first got the lens but sometime since then ( I never use it in auto aperture mode) the camera's lever has stopped keeping the aperture open. Tried it on the Vivitar Group 3 ...it doesn't work either. I removed the lens and turned the camera on...When I move the DOF preview lever I can hear the mechanism working inside but the there is no movement of the little slide that actuates the lens aperture lever. Now the really big problem....Telling little Dawg I need to send it for repair.....Jeez I don't want to do that.....I'd rather fight a cougar bare handed......Oh well if it don't kill me it may make me stronger. Again Thanks Tim for helping an old Dawg with this...I've learned a lot through this and will retain that knowledge.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 3:24 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

Ha, looks like you and I posted at the same time Dawg, only yours came through first so you answered part of my question before I asked it!:G

Sounds like your K10 did pretty much the same thing my GX10 did the other day. I sent it back and now they are sending me a replacement. Should be back to shoot'n in a few days. I hope your camera is still under warranty.:?
GW

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 6:04 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
ennacac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,198
Default

M42 lenses have a pin that has to be pressed in for the aperture blades to stop down, all K mount lenses have a lever that has to be pushed down to do the same. The part in the newer cameras that trips the lever on the K mount lenses is nowhere near the pin on screw mount lenses and it pushes down so the pin will never be pushed in.

All M42 lenses have to be manually set to the aperture you want to use and they have to be in manual mode (switch on some lenses) and then your DSLR will meter properly. It will meter properly without being stopped down also, but only at the widest aperture the lens has since it can not stop down automatically.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 1:47 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Ha, looks like you and I posted at the same time Dawg, only yours came through first so you answered part of my question before I asked it!:G

Sounds like your K10 did pretty much the same thing my GX10 did the other day. I sent it back and now they are sending me a replacement. Should be back to shoot'n in a few days. I hope your camera is still under warranty.:?
GW
Nope. Long past that I'm afraid. I've shot nearly 80,000 photos with mine so far and it has been doing this as far as I can tell since around 6 months in. I paid it no attention since I shoot mostly manual K-mount lenses and it was working so well. Now I want to use the A mode on some of my lenses and I plan on a couple more auto lenses so I'll have to send it in and pay the piper I guess. Already got the shipping label and instruction sheet printed from Pentax web site.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 1:49 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
M42 lenses have a pin that has to be pressed in for the aperture blades to stop down, all K mount lenses have a lever that has to be pushed down to do the same. The part in the newer cameras that trips the lever on the K mount lenses is nowhere near the pin on screw mount lenses and it pushes down so the pin will never be pushed in.

All M42 lenses have to be manually set to the aperture you want to use and they have to be in manual mode (switch on some lenses) and then your DSLR will meter properly. It will meter properly without being stopped down also, but only at the widest aperture the lens has since it can not stop down automatically.

Tom
Well aware of that already Tom but thanks for the reminder.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 8:20 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Nope. Long past that I'm afraid. I've shot nearly 80,000 photos with mine so far and it has been doing this as far as I can tell since around 6 months in. I paid it no attention since I shoot mostly manual K-mount lenses and it was working so well. Now I want to use the A mode on some of my lenses and I plan on a couple more auto lenses so I'll have to send it in and pay the piper I guess. Already got the shipping label and instruction sheet printed from Pentax web site.

Dawg
Wow, 80,000 what do you do in your spare time?
Sorry to hear it's out of warranty though. For some reason I was thinking you just got your K10 a few months ago. The new GX10 they sent me to replace the one I dropped, started acting up really strange and then one day after I was checking out a new manual lens I got, and put the kit lens back on, it refused to recognize it as an "A" lens and the view finder went dark. Last I heard from Samsung was they are sending me another replacement and will email me when it ships. That was last Monday, still haven't heard anything… soon I hope!

Hey, I was just thinking… this would be a great time to upgrade to a K20!

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 2:07 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
bigdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thach Alabama
Posts: 14,981
Default

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Nope. Long past that I'm afraid. I've shot nearly 80,000 photos with mine so far and it has been doing this as far as I can tell since around 6 months in. I paid it no attention since I shoot mostly manual K-mount lenses and it was working so well. Now I want to use the A mode on some of my lenses and I plan on a couple more auto lenses so I'll have to send it in and pay the piper I guess. Already got the shipping label and instruction sheet printed from Pentax web site.

Dawg
Wow, 80,000 what do you do in your spare time?
Sorry to hear it's out of warranty though. For some reason I was thinking you just got your K10 a few months ago. The new GX10 they sent me to replace the one I dropped, started acting up really strange and then one day after I was checking out a new manual lens I got, and put the kit lens back on, it refused to recognize it as an "A" lens and the view finder went dark. Last I heard from Samsung was they are sending me another replacement and will email me when it ships. That was last Monday, still haven't heard anything… soon I hope!

Hey, I was just thinking… this would be a great time to upgrade to a K20!
You want me dead don't you? LD is a dead shot at anything around 100 yards....No way Jose!! Course you might have a different situation and then for you it might be a good time...For me it would be tantamount to suicide!

:ak47::ak47::ak47::ak47::ak47::ak47::ak47::ak47::a k47::ak47:

Dawg



bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.