Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:04 PM   #11

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I think the first one shows what the camera "saw", the second is much closer to what you saw. Thus, IMO pp-ing isn't cheating but improving the picture to be more "life-like". Of course there is cheating too, but this is an example of the first kind. It also shows how some pp-ing can do a lot but still not everything.

Good work Scott, thanks for posting!
Hi Kjell,

I'm a believer in trying to get it right in the exposure, but make more than my share of mistakes :roll:. I'll use the tools that I have to try to make the ones that don't cut it as good as I can get them. This was pretty close to what I did see, and IMO it came out good enough to pass casual inspection in a print (most people don't really critically study most photographs).

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:28 PM   #12

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Scott, here is my crack at it FWIW:

CS2-Image-Adjustments-Shadow/Highlight-Shadows 50%-Highlights 47%-Midtone Contrast 15%

Bens method for contrast-Dupllicate Layer-Soft Light-Opacity 60%-Fill 55%

Flaten Image and here you go:
Hi Tom,

Thanks for sharing your PP process -- probably a lot easier than mine. I've been trying to think a little out of the box, and am trying to devise new original techniques to correct my most common screw ups (too dark subject with a bright BG is all too common with the birds I like to shoot).

It's totally a matter of taste, but I'm not much of a fan of the "pop" that many people like in a photo, so I think that the saturation and contrast in your versions are a bit over the top (for me). I do prefer the second, and will probably do some work on the background. I think your versions pointed to what I see as wrong with mine -- yours have similar levels of contrast and saturation, while in mine,there's definitely a significant difference in saturation between the doe and the BG. If I pull back the exposure and back off on the saturation, it will probably look more like I want it.

Thanks for your efforts and examples.

Scott
Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:29 PM   #13

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
bingo!* Now the background isn't so distracting.* May be further from what the camera saw but to me anyway looks the best.* But it's purely subjective I admit :-)
Hi John,

Thanks for your input, even tho it wasn't directed to me. I think it helped me get my brain around what the problem might be, and I'll give it a try later.

Scott
Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:35 PM   #14

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Nice PP work guys.
Interesting expression on her face too. Sure would like to know what she's thinking.:-)
Looks like she has a fawn or two, not too far away I'll bet.
Hi GW,

I think she was in the middle of chewing on a crab apple, but my first impressions when looking at the shot were that she either looked a little surprised -- or a bit bored. I think she was thinking that if this idiot would leave her alone, she could get some more of those crab apples!:-).

I hadn't noticed that she was nursing until I looked at the shots. I have no idea where the fawn(s) might be -- she was walking down a residential street.

Scott
Old Aug 13, 2008, 9:19 PM   #15

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I think both PPed versions are quite good and better than I could have managed.* For what the deer was thinking, if Scott had one of his 300mm f/2.8 lenses mounted it was probably "Great, now they are hunting us with howitzers!"* :-)
Hi Tim,

It was the Sigma 300, so you're probably right about the howitzer thing.:-). . . but it's what I had on the cam. . .
:roll: -- and she really didn't seem intimidated. I had gotten out of the car, and was just standing out in the open taking shots -- she just went about with her business until some jerk came driving by yelling and honking his horn at her, at which point she ducked into some heavy brush at the edge of one of the properties. Needless to say, I was livid, and considering your vocation, I'll not go into what I was thinking about doing to the jerk. . .:-)

Up to that point, this was probably this city boy's closest encounter with a wild deer (about 15-20 ft), and I was so struck with the fabled "buck fever" (photog's version) that I messed up most of the shots by making mistakes that I usually don't make.

Thanks for taking a look and responding.

Scott
Old Aug 13, 2008, 9:43 PM   #16

snostorm wrote:
she just went about with her business until some jerk came driving by yelling and honking his horn at her, at which point she ducked into some heavy brush at the edge of one of the properties. Needless to say, I was livid, and considering your vocation, I'll not go into what I was thinking about doing to the jerk. . .:-)
[/quote]

The jerk was probably honking his horn at you, considering you to be the jerk! That happens to birders all the time.

And this city boy didn't realize that does had such long eyelashes, either. :roll:

Nice opportunity.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 7:59 PM   #17

Hey Scott,
I'll bet this is close to what you were thinking...

GW

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 7:54 AM   #18

Nice shot snostorm. Looks like she must have some youngsters around too. Lots of ways to process these, and they all turned out quite well. That's the beauty of ps and digital......cheers....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:02 PM   #19

Hard to choose, it is just a good shot how ever you manipulate it, she sure looks surprised.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote