Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:54 AM   #1

Hi All,

Got this shot the other day. This doe was wandering around the neighborhood just outside the condo complex where I live. I was able to park the car and get out for a few shots, but in this one, the deer was very underexposed as she was in the shade of a tree, and the house in the BG was brightly sunlit.

Here's the original, shot in jpeg, cropped to 5x7 and resized.

I've been experimenting with selectively PPing only certain areas of images, and this one was a candidate for the process.

Here's the processed image.

IMO, it doesn't look completely natural, almost like a direct fill flash was used, but I think it worked pretty well.

I'd be interested in your opinions. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2008, 9:06 AM   #2

I think it came out quite well. A lot of the time the problem with affecting only part of a picture is the selection process (not leaving funny looking edges). Yours doesn't have any of that. While it might not be perfect, I don't think it looks like flash. Maybe it looks a little artificial because of the lack of anything tying the deer to the background (shadows etc.), but that would be nitpicking. I like it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:21 AM   #3

I think the first one shows what the camera "saw", the second is much closer to what you saw. Thus, IMO pp-ing isn't cheating but improving the picture to be more "life-like". Of course there is cheating too, but this is an example of the first kind. It also shows how some pp-ing can do a lot but still not everything.

Good work Scott, thanks for posting!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:27 AM   #4

Scott, here is my crack at it FWIW:

CS2-Image-Adjustments-Shadow/Highlight-Shadows 50%-Highlights 47%-Midtone Contrast 15%

Bens method for contrast-Dupllicate Layer-Soft Light-Opacity 60%-Fill 55%

Flaten Image and here you go:

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:04 PM   #5

Tom - I really like your version of the DEER. The background is a bit bright though. Maybe the background from the OPs version and the deer from yours.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:22 PM   #6

Like This??

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:28 PM   #7

bingo! Now the background isn't so distracting. May be further from what the camera saw but to me anyway looks the best. But it's purely subjective I admit :-)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 3:44 PM   #8

Nice PP work guys.
Interesting expression on her face too. Sure would like to know what she's thinking.:-)
Looks like she has a fawn or two, not too far away I'll bet.
GW
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 6:43 PM   #9

I think both PPed versions are quite good and better than I could have managed. For what the deer was thinking, if Scott had one of his 300mm f/2.8 lenses mounted it was probably "Great, now they are hunting us with howitzers!" :-)

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:52 PM   #10

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I think it came out quite well.* A lot of the time the problem with affecting only part of a picture is the selection process (not leaving funny looking edges).* Yours doesn't have any of that.* While it might not be perfect, I don't think it looks like flash.* Maybe it looks a little artificial because of the lack of anything tying the deer to the background (shadows etc.), but that would be nitpicking.* I like it.
Hi Harriet,

Thanks for taking a look and commenting. I think that you've got it right about something missing tying the doe to the background -- probably some sign of reflection from the sunlit background. . . and I'm not enough of an artist to know what it should look like.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote