Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 16, 2008, 6:15 PM   #1

First time out with this lens. My first impressions are thumbs up! Nice lens to use. Quiet, not too large (compared to the similar Canon 300L), and has faster AF than the 55-300. IQ is very good. Couldn't find any fringing, although I wasn't looking all that hard anyway. Sharp at all apertures. Here's some samples....cheers...Don

Full crop of a duck

another full crop...

this is almost a full crop...

Cedar Waxwing

Blue Heron airing out

Tree Frog..these guys are about the size of your thumbnail....

Wood Duck

Rower

Some kind of moth...not sure really...

A thistle

One more...a Damselfly I believe it's called. Correct me if I'm wrong.

All in all, I have to say I'm really happy with this lens so far. IQ seems very good, and not a step back from the FA*300 4.5, which I owned in another life. If anything, I have to say it handles high contrast better - no fringing that I could see in any of these. Particularly the Waxwing shot, which of any of these samples, could have had fringing problems. My old FA*300 used to suffer a bit when shooting high contrast. Thanks for looking, and anyone who's interested, feel free to comment...cheers...Don

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2008, 7:23 PM   #2

Looks like that lens is turning in great results for you Don. I can't tell you the species, but your "moth" appears to be some kind of skipper butterfly. All the pics look very smart and, judging by your damselfly shot, it offers near macro capability as well.

Questions: Does this lens offer full frame coverage like the DA* 200mm? Also, I know you have a pretty refined PP sharpening technique, are you finding you need to sharpen less with the DA* 300mm?

Thanks,
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 7:40 PM   #3

Oh, dear. These are awesome! I like your butterfly (Penolta informed us that it's a butterfly, I always thought they were moths too). What I'd really like is a zoom that covers the 200mm range because I have the A*300. But your pictures are making it MUCH harder to keep my mind on what I feel I need, not what I'd like.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 7:52 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

OK Don, that does it..this lens is officially on my Santa list now. The IQ is phenomenal. Please say that you have not done much post processing to achieve these knock-out images!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 8:48 PM   #5

A keeper lens for sure. My EXIF viewer comes up blank except for a thumbnail on these. Were they shot in jpeg or raw? How close does it focus, and how much cropping did you do? Great shots.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 9:09 PM   #6

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Looks like that lens is turning in great results for you Don. I can't tell you the species, but your "moth" appears to be some kind of skipper butterfly. All the pics look very smart and, judging by your damselfly shot, it offers near macro capability as well.

Questions: Does this lens offer full frame coverage like the DA* 200mm? Also, I know you have a pretty refined PP sharpening technique, are you finding you need to sharpen less with the DA* 300mm?

Thanks,
Tim
Thanks Tim.

I don't know if this lens is full frame or not. Doesn't apply to me anyway, as I need as much length as I can get. I do seem to be using less USM, but the detail is more refined with this lens. Hard to really put into words, but it just seems to resolve more detail. I'm not a techie who can explain it, but the images do seem sharper straight out of the camera....Don
Old Aug 16, 2008, 9:11 PM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Oh, dear. These are awesome! I like your butterfly (Penolta informed us that it's a butterfly, I always thought they were moths too). What I'd really like is a zoom that covers the 200mm range because I have the A*300. But your pictures are making it MUCH harder to keep my mind on what I feel I need, not what I'd like.
Thanks Harriet! AF at 300 is good for shooting birds and stuff. Cuts down on the AF time before the little buggers can escape....Don
Old Aug 16, 2008, 9:15 PM   #8

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
OK Don, that does it..this lens is officially on my Santa list now. The IQ is phenomenal. Please say that you have not done much post processing to achieve these knock-out images!

Jay
Thanks Jay. Hope Santa comes through for you. :cart:

Well I've done my usual processing that I did with the 55-300, but as I said earlier, the detail seems more refined using this lens. I still need to sharpen, as I shoot RAW, but when I do, the detail definitely seems better......Don
Old Aug 16, 2008, 9:26 PM   #9

penolta wrote:
Quote:
A keeper lens for sure. My EXIF viewer comes up blank except for a thumbnail on these. Were they shot in jpeg or raw? How close does it focus, and how much cropping did you do? Great shots.
Thanks penolta. These were all shot in RAW. That's all I shoot in.

Yeah, Smugmug strips the exif. If you want to read it, go to

http://thekman.smugmug.com/gallery/5...M9Mc#353007026

The exif is readable if you go to this link. The lens focuses to 4.6 ft or 1.4 meters according to the specs.

Well the first few shots are full crops, as I wanted you guys to see the detail it could resolve. The others vary. I don't keep track of how much I cropped etc. If the photo's ok, I process, if not...it's in the garbage....cheers...Don
Old Aug 16, 2008, 9:45 PM   #10

I just looked up the specs, and the magnification ratio is 1:4 at 4.6 ft. Not too shabby for a non macro lens, It is also an SDM (hypersonic?) lens on the K10/K20, and mechanical on the K100 and earlier models, so should be smoother, quieter and faster focusing. Probably worth the high tag if you do a lot of bird photography.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote