Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 17, 2008, 8:25 PM   #1

I was in the backyard getting things picked up in anticipation of Fay's arrival when I spotted a pair of bumblebees working on some plants that border our yard. Hurricane or not, a man has to have priorities, so I dropped what I was doing and grabbed the camera of course.

I carefully selected only the bee for a little bit of USM as the leaf already looked overly sharp straight out of the camera. I have considered applying a little bit of blur to the leaf, what do ya'll think?

Thanks,
Tim

Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2008, 9:22 PM   #2

Well… I'm no expert but, I like it like it is!
GW
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 9:23 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Tim, I like it just the way it is! That is some amazing detail on the bee--High Definition photography!

What lens were you using? I need to try the technique of applying sharpening to selected parts of the picture. I imagine the challenge is in carefully selecting the area for USM!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 9:31 PM   #4

Leave it as is - I like it. The leaf looks natural and the bee is lovely. The funny thing is that I can see me doing the same thing.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 1:38 AM   #5

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
What lens were you using? I need to try the technique of applying sharpening to selected parts of the picture. I imagine the challenge is in carefully selecting the area for USM!

Jay
Thanks for the input GW, Jay and Harriet, I appreciate it. If it looks good to ya'll I will leave well enough alone.

Jay, I was using the Lester A Dine/Kiron 105mm macro. Selectively sharpening in PSP X2 is something I just figured out but it is so simple that I should have been using it all along. In PSP, I just do a rough outline of my insect using the freehand selection tool and then choose USM. As long as the selection is active the USM is only applied within it. My selection is a little more exact than a big circle but I really don't worry much about being exact. It seems to be most useful when I have insects and flowers in the same shot as the flowers look better (to my eye) softer and the insects sharper. And there are probably six other ways to do the same thing better and a dozen if you are using Photoshop.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote