Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:27 AM   #1

Headed out early this morning. Very dark and dull, but made for an interesting sunrise. Landscape with a 300. Lol....

Snail racing up a tree. This was at ISO 3200. Used some NR on this one...

Osprey looking for breakfast.

Cedar Waxwing having its breakfast..

...down she goes....

A Starling that actually looks appealing. Strange....

I think this is an Evening Grosbeak youngster. I was very close. Maybe 5 feet away. It didn't seem to mind me being there at all. Very strange..

A Wood Duck nearing maturity. I used Benjamin's sharpening technique for this one.

And a local flower garden.

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2008, 1:43 AM   #2

I am always speechless when I view your postings....

I like all of them, each for a different reason, the wood duck is great along with the Cedar Waxwing and Starling!!!!!!

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:37 AM   #3

Very nice samples. I like the Evening Grosbeak youngster.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:43 AM   #4

Very nice Don!

How does this setup compare to the MarkIII in your opinion? Personally I feel Pentax gives a more realistic image and the MarkIII produced images that were sharper than they are in real life.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:00 AM   #5

I have to agree with Tom that some Canon images I have seem have a very "plastic" look to them, as if they were highly processed.

These images are fantastic, much muchsharper and more colourful than my pedestrian F 100-300mm zoom can produce. If I were involved in more nature photography this would be a must-have lens.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:15 AM   #6

Some great shots Don.
That's the best shot of a starling I've seen!
GW
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 3:47 PM   #7

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
I am always speechless when I view your postings....

I like all of them, each for a different reason, the wood duck is great along with the Cedar Waxwing and Starling!!!!!!

Thanks very much interested observer!!....cheers...Don
Old Aug 18, 2008, 3:50 PM   #8

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
Very nice samples. I like the Evening Grosbeak youngster.
Thanks Rodney!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 4:15 PM   #9

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Very nice Don!

How does this setup compare to the MarkIII in your opinion? Personally I feel Pentax gives a more realistic image and the MarkIII produced images that were sharper than they are in real life.

Tom
Thanks Tom.

Lens wise, the DA*300 is pretty similar to the Canon 300L f/4 Id have to say. IQ I'd say was on par for each lens. As far as the Mark III goes? Well that is a beast of a camera body - quite heavy to haul around. I shot mostly in Shutter priority, and once in a while in Av. It, like the k20d and k10d has auto ISO that I really depend on a lot shooting skittish birds and wildlife etc. Don't have a lot of time to think about setup when you come across something all of a sudden. The only adjustments I tend to make when out shooting are to ev compensation and shutter speed. And it is easy to do on both cameras.

The 10fps is really nice on the Mark, but it almost seemed like overkill. I would like to see Pentax up the frame rate to 5 or 6, but 10 almost seems excessive. But I'm not a pro shooting sports, which is what I think they mostly aim the Mark for in their marketing.

I never noticed the Mark seeming oversharp or producing plastic images. But then I don't shoot jpg - just RAW, and from what I've read, that is a Canon trait for their jpgs. I can't really comment on theirs being better than Pentax. The RAW photos I processed never seemed plastic to me, and I always had to sharpen them up just like I do with the Pentax files. Noise levels on the Mark were excellent - bigger sensor with a 1.3 crop factor. Some people think the Mark III is just as clean as the 5d. Again, I have no practical proof, as I've never used a 5d. I will say though, that the high ISO images I took with the Mark usually turned out very well if I got the exposure correct or close. Hope this helps...cheers...Don
Old Aug 18, 2008, 4:22 PM   #10

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I have to agree with Tom that some Canon images I have seem have a very "plastic" look to them, as if they were highly processed.

These images are fantastic, much muchsharper and more colourful than my pedestrian F 100-300mm zoom can produce. If I were involved in more nature photography this would be a must-have lens.

Ira
Thanks Ira. For nature photography, it's a great "little" lens, and I agree, a must if you really want that little extra for sharp results. It seems quite small for what it does. It is a little weighty, but not as heavy as the Canon 300L f/4 I had. Very compact and easy to haul around kit for birding on the go. I don't use tripods or monopods either, so it's nice to have a balanced fairly lightweight kit for hiking about...cheers..Don