Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 19, 2008, 1:24 AM   #1

Hi All,

Went out today to try to find some birds -- not much luck, except for the Grey Catbirds. They're the only interesting ones that seem to be around. I used the iPod unsuccessfully for some other species, but four different Catbirds were the only ones to show up, and though they didn't sit still for very long, I was able to get some shots.

The last time I got some shots of these guys, one of them burped up an intact berry, showed it to me, then swallowed it back down. I posted this sequence here last week:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...47&forum_id=80

What looked like the same guy showed up (I think -- it was missing some feathers on the throat and just under the right eye). I was searching the bushes and trees, waiting to sight some birds, and then glanced down and spotted this one standing on the ground about 8 ft away. It apparently had been there some time, listening to the bird songs and watching me. I slowly turned the camera its way, and started shooting, and actually had to lean back quite a bit to get the lens to focus, so these were taken while I was standing there in a very awkward position.

This time, it spit up a berry pit, showed it to me, then swallowed it back down, and flew off. When the seed appeared, I mashed the shutter down and got some shots in continuous, so these are every other frame, instead of consecutive. Here's the sequence shot with the K20, EX 300/2.8 + Tam 1.4x AF TC, f4.5, 1/200, ISO 1000, handheld:

"Wanna see something cool?"

"Urp!"

"Here's a better look"

". . .gulp -- but it's mine, and you can't have it. . ."

I don't know if this is common behavior for these guys, but I was doubly freaked out -- that I got to see it twice (and close up), . . . and that all the shots turned out both times. Call me a little strange :-), but this kind of stuff really makes my day. . .

Scott

BTW, these were just cropped to 5x7 and resized in 4 steps, no other PP or noise reduction applied. Whatever noise that was present disappeared with the downsizing. I've been using Auto ISO with the range set to 100-1250, and this is working very well for me. . .
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2008, 2:16 AM   #2

Great shots, so sharp and good focus on the eyes.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:33 PM   #3

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
Great shots, so sharp and good focus on the eyes.
Hi Rodney,

Thanks! This guy was actually a little bit too close, and the DOF is obviously very thin, with very little margin for error, so I was a bit surprised that these came out as well as they did.

I was also worried about camera shake since I was hand holding from a very strained position, and with the TC, the SR system was optimized for 300mm instead of the actual 420mm.

The camera and lens performed beyond expectations here -- the rest was pretty much luck.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 3:13 PM   #4

As always I'm amazed at how close you get to those small birds and what an outstanding IQ you get even with stacked converters.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 6:34 PM   #5

Scott,
Your pics blow me away. You get better results at 3200 than I do at 800!
I wish I had been there to take a picture of you shooting him. The visual in my head is quite funny..
GW .

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote