Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 19, 2008, 6:49 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

During my recent familytravels a couple of weeks ago, we visited Arlington National Cemetery. Another one of those "must see before I die" places. If you are in the Washington DC area, a visit is highly recommended. I left with a tremendous sense of appreciation and pride for all those who have served our country!

K20D and combination of DA*50-135 and DA*16-50

Jay

View of the Washington Mounument in the background

A sea of resting servicemen/women and families

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Honor Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The tomb is guarded 24x7 365 days a yearand a changing of the guard takes place every 30 minutes. Quite a ceremony.

Close Up

One of many

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2008, 9:18 AM   #2

quite moving and exceptional photos at the same time. thanks forsharing them with us jay.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:41 AM   #3

Jay

Awesome Shots, Thanks For Sharing. This is very high on My Bucket list also!! Especially now that My youngest is old enough to enjoy it.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 6:47 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Thanks Ishino and Phil for your kind words. Besides being a memorable place to visit, it is also a haven for photo bugs.

Phil: My kids 13 and 15 seemed to enjoy the visit. They are old enough to appreciate the significance of Arlington over and above being a cemetery.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 6:58 PM   #5

Very nice images, Jay. Thanks for sharing.

Haven't been there, but did visit the cemetery at West Point a few years ago when my stepson was there. It's a very moving experience. We also have a painting above our fireplace of the background of the school with the names of my husband's classmates that never made it home from Vietnam.

Not having come from a military family, but marrying into one, it's opened up my eyes to what our military means.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:25 PM   #6

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Ishino and Phil for your kind words. Besides being a memorable place to visit, it is also a haven for photo bugs.

Phil: My kids 13 and 15 seemed to enjoy the visit. They are old enough to appreciate the significance of Arlington over and above being a cemetary.

Jay
Jay

Mine are 10 & 15. My 15 year old has been twice, once with his School and once with His Boy scout troop. He is well aware of the meaning. Its my 10 year old that I really want To see it. She is aware of our family History. But Just not the Magnitude of the cemetery.

Back In 72, I just missed the Nam draft by About 10 Numbers( Draft Lottery). However, I have a Couple of friends names on the Vietnam wall that i would love to see. None of My family is interred at Arlington, but Two Members of my immediate family were in WWII.

Phil

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote