Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:18 PM   #1

Hey Everyone,

For the better part of 2 years now I have been getting deeper and deeper into the world of digital photography and have reached the point now where I feel confident enough to submit some of my work for others to see. Inevitably, even though I LOVE using my camera to capture images mostly for myself, the time has finally come where I feel that I could be compensated somewhat for some of the work that I have done. I dont expect/demand to be making money off of my work, but I do feel like I would like to have my work displayed at art exhibitions and other such venues with the possibility of compensation and/or recognition.

My question to you all is, (for the members of this forum that have experience in this) How do you go about finding various exhibitions/competitions/galleries in your area and such. Do you do searches online or are there other 'better' sources to find out where and when these exhibitions take place? How do you put a price on your framed work? There are some general questions that I have and am sure have been brought up at one time or another on these forums even. Im sure there are lots of you fellow members out there that have experience in this and are full time working individuals such as myself that do not have as much free time as you would like to research the subject other than online which has yielded less thanadequate results.

I guess im just trying to get some experience and "get my foot in the door" so to speak so that any future endeavors can be accomplished a bit easier. Any help from you all would be greatly appreciated.

As a final note, I live in the NJ/NYC metro area and I am sure there are LOTS of these events going on around here, I'm just not sure how to find them.. lol

Thanks in advance for all your anticipated help!!
PanagiotisDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:24 AM   #2

for years i was a member of a local camera club

they had monthly competitions/challenges
they also held exhibitions where one may sell work

plus

they were affiliated with other club, which also had competitions and exhibitions

and of course other members that had been in the scene a while knew what was happening around town

other than that read magazines, newspapers, see if ther eis anythin happening in your area on the net

and make sure you read the fine print and dont lose ownership of your photos for a pittance
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 7:28 AM   #3

Interesting as I've been thinking the same thing. About a month ago my aunt and I went to a local tourist area to an art gallery that has some of her coworkers photos in it. She commented afterward that I should put my stuff there as it was better than her coworker's. I haven't pursued it yet. Mostly because, as you said, I work full time and there just aren't enough hours in the day. I need to just take the leap and call them.

Anyway, I would suggest looking up art galleries or coops in the area and giving them a call.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:14 AM   #4

Gumnut wrote:
Quote:
for years i was a member of a local camera club

they had monthly competitions/challenges
they also held exhibitions where one may sell work

plus

they were affiliated with other club, which also had competitions and exhibitions

and of course other members that had been in the scene a while knew what was happening around town

other than that read magazines, newspapers, see if ther eis anythin happening in your area on the net

and make sure you read the fine print and dont lose ownership of your photos for a pittance
Definitely good advice, and ditto on the fine print part. I would definitely not want to lose ownership on photos. That is something I had not thought about until you just mentioned it!
PanagiotisDJ is offline   Reply With Quote