Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 20, 2008, 6:28 PM   #1

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1967

I think we Pentaxians can have an objective look at this issue (almost a bombshell from a key Canon photographer) which caused a bit of stir amongst some users. And I can tell you Nikon PR (besides their stellar hardware) has done a great job in enticing him to switch.

Canon looks like defending a dud - a very expensive dud indeed.

In Toronto, there is a Canon guy selling his $40K gears to switch after a lot of extensive blog complaints. And I would not blame him.

I would ask what happens if the next Pentax K20D super is a dud. What will we do?

Given my low level of work, I have not exhausted all the potential of the existing Pentax equipment.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:45 PM   #2

i have the luxury of not having to make a living with my camera. but if the difference between paying the bills was getting the shot or not, and the equipment could vastly improve my chances of getting the money shot, well then i'd switch too if i suddenly found my equipment inadequate.

interesting article though.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:03 AM   #3

The link doesn't work any longer – can you give a brief what it was about?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 12:20 AM   #4

Basically, a bigtime freelance photographer, once a bigtime Canon user decided to switch to Nikon equipment due to a flaw with the latest flagship Canon autofocus that Canon refused to acknowledge as an actual product flaw.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 4:48 AM   #5

MadMikeSS wrote:
Quote:
Basically, a bigtime freelance photographer, once a bigtime Canon user decided to switch to Nikon equipment due to a flaw with the latest flagship Canon autofocus that Canon refused to acknowledge as an actual product flaw.
You summed it up well.

Kjell : The link works again now.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 6:49 AM   #6

Yes Canon definitely has a problem on their hands.

It's a good read for people that really brings home the idiocy of 'brand loyalty'. In one sense we all want the manufacturer we've chosen to produce good gear - after all we've invested in a certain system. But it's interesting to see the blind faith many people have in their system of choice. When your ability to put food on the table depends on your equipment you've got to be more objective.

What's really interesting throughout the whole mkIII issue is the inconsistency of the problem. Lots of pros who don't have a problem and some who do. Interestingly enough myself and mark1616 do NOT have the issue with our mkIIIs. But I can absolutely understand working pros who make the switch. However, the last year has shown Canon still hasn't gotten a complete handle on whatever the issue is. It will be interesting to see if there is a III-N announced within the year.

What's even more interesting if you do some digging is how many working pros switched from Nikon to Canon not so long ago when Canon stepped ahead of Nikon.

For what it's worth - even though I've shot Canon for years - there isn't a doubt in my mind if I was starting from scratch I'd buy Nikon right now. From a sports shooting perspective they've really blown past Canon.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:15 AM   #7

by the way - here's an interesting link showing the photography section for track & field - a lot more Nikons than 4 years ago. Although, keeping things in perspective there are a lot of Canons still there. And at least the couple bodies which show the back you can tell are mkIIIs and not II-Ns

http://www.karikuukka.com/peking2008/100m/

Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:53 AM   #8

I heard rumors that folks in Canikon forums placed red/blue dots in that image to count them. Pretty hilarious:-) Glad I cannot spot any Pentax in there:-)

Seriously now, I am glad I can afford not to be a pro photog.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:12 AM   #9

This is a very interesting read. First, I am not a pro shooter, but do like to squeeze as much IQ and performance available while enjoying my obsessive hobby of photographing wildlife.

I owned a 1D Mark III for a period of 6 months - the blue dot version (submirror fixed), and I experienced the good, the bad and the ugly of this body too. When I first received it, the AF in AI Servo was inconsistent, and I put it down to "user error". I got some very good shots, but a lot were similar to the first photo of the pitcher in the link above. I thought it was me, so continued on to work on my technique with mixed results. After the latest firmware came out, I noticed an improvement. I was getting a much higher in focus hit rate than before the firmware in AI Servo. There was a definite improvement in the body I owned. The troubling thing that came to surface with the body I had, was that in one shot AF, I had a huge failure rate similar to the AI Servo shots that were slightly o.o.f. I took test shots on tripods, handheld and other setups, and many of the results were with the same o.o.f. characteristics of other complainants. In fact, I had a better hit rate for static subjects using the AI Servo setting. I never really delved into the custom settings. I generally left them a Canon's default settings, other than the expanded focus points which I tried and eventually left on single CAF, and the "speed" of the AF in AI Servo. I didn't feel a camera as high end as this should have AF problems in one shot using default settings or any setting for that matter, or subject to heat, brightness or whatever the C tech's came up with. They do have a flaw, and it'll be interesting to see what comes of it. A new Mark IV I'd bet, and if it comes out with the Mark III's problems cured, you'll more than likely see an unloading of Mark III's in gigantic numbers. Probably won't be able to give them away. Scary, for anyone that now owns one...

Having unloaded my Canon gear, I'm quite happy with my current Pentax setup. It delivers the goods for me with high IQ. The only trouble I experience is with CAF and tracking a flying subject, and maybe the slower fps (not a huge deal breaker for me-most of my wildlife photos are static). Other than those 2 niggles, talk about a "cheap" camera that has it all! It'll be interesting to see what Pentax has up their sleeve for their next "flagship".... cheers...Don

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:12 AM   #10

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
Seriously now, I am glad I can afford not to be a pro photog.
No doubt about it - especially a sports photog. The opportunities are rapidly diminishing.