Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:38 AM   #1

Took these the other day. It was dark and dull. This little guy was very close, so not a lot of cropping was needed. I wouldn't want to have to use ISO 3200 and a heavy crop. But if not much cropping is needed, they turn out pretty good. I uploaded these so the exif is intact....cheers...Don

ISO 3200- no noise reduction. These were ACR2 default settings and converted to jpg. Now I'm sure without ACR2's applied colour NR redution, there would be some chroma noise. But the noise levels are pretty good....

Attached Images

thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:39 AM   #2

...with NR applied
Attached Images

Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:57 AM   #3

Here's the full picture with no crop. I also removed all NR in ACR for this conversion to jpg...
Attached Images

Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:00 AM   #4

....and here's the full crop with conversion and all NR removed in ACR. No adjustments at all. Default ACR with all NR at "zero". Not a pretty sight. But, you can see that the detail is there. I just wouldn't advise using a heavy crop at 3200...D.
Attached Images

Old Aug 22, 2008, 11:00 PM   #5

I came to the same conclusion, but my test was in lower light/more shadows, so there was far worse noise levels. It was surprising how it looked when it was resized down, the noise becomes quite manageable. This is an excellent picture. Did you do any sharpening after you applied the noise reduction?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 12:42 AM   #6

OK... I couldn't resist running the first pic through some aggressive/selective noise reduction and a little USM. Obviously, some detail is lost, but I think it looks pretty decent.

Sure is a nice pic and a cute little bird, though his feet look a lot like tiny velociraptor claws!

Attached Images

RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 12:47 AM   #7

That is a really nice picture. Even untouched, it's a good shot. In some cases minor technical problems don't ruin the over all feel and quality of a photograph. This is one of those cases! Good work K.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 9:24 AM   #8

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

IMHO the untouched versions are too grainy for my liking although the PP'd image seems acceptable. I often wonder if the extreme capabilities of modern bodies have more merit on paper than in practice? My experience with high ISO in low light has yielded marginal results even with the K20D. I therefore try to stay with 200-400 ISO ratings and use a fast lens instead.

Good subject to toss around and discuss!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 9:42 AM   #9

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I came to the same conclusion, but my test was in lower light/more shadows, so there was far worse noise levels. It was surprising how it looked when it was resized down, the noise becomes quite manageable. This is an excellent picture. Did you do any sharpening after you applied the noise reduction?
Hi Harriet,

Yes, I did sharpening, but I do it before I use NR. I've done it both ways, but don't really find much difference ...Don
Old Aug 23, 2008, 9:45 AM   #10

RedStickMan wrote:
Quote:
OK... I couldn't resist running the first pic through some aggressive/selective noise reduction and a little USM. Obviously, some detail is lost, but I think it looks pretty decent.

Sure is a nice pic and a cute little bird, though his feet look a lot like tiny velociraptor claws!

Great job RSM! Did you use layers and stuff to do it like this? Very good job on the background. I don't delve into it that deeply.....cheers...Don