Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 23, 2008, 9:45 PM   #1

Does anyone have any experience or advice on reversing lens for macro photography?
Thanks,
GW
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:08 PM   #2

I always thought it more trouble than using a macro lens....

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 6:21 AM   #3

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have any experience or advice on reversing lens for macro photography?
Thanks,
GW
It can give good results, I've tried a reversed 50/1.4, but you're very close to your subject to get focus, and tend to block out light. You have to be full manual of course.

Personally I haven't considered using the methodsince I got a full macro lens. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:37 AM   #4

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I always thought it more trouble than using a macro lens....

Dawg
You're right Dawg, but I'm just trying to get by on the cheap until I can afford a good macro.
I hesitated just a little too long a few days ago and missed out on a Pentax 100mm f:2.8 macro and ring flash set up for dental work. The ring flash was powered by a 120volt power supply. When I decided to go for it, it was already gone.

Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:40 AM   #5

There is one up right now on ebray. a viv 100mm 1-1 f/3.5. Get a cheap 2x tele converter and remove the lens elements. Works nearly as good and easier to use.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:50 AM   #6

jachol wrote:
Quote:
Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Thanks,
GW
It can give good results, I've tried a reversed 50/1.4, but you're very close to your subject to get focus, and tend to block out light. You have to be full manual of course.

Personally I haven't considered using the methodsince I got a full macro lens. ... Jack
Thank you Jack,[/b]
I have a 50/f:2 that I was thinking of trying, along with the AF 540 flash. Do you think I could get good results with that set up? GW
Old Aug 24, 2008, 11:23 AM   #7

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
There is one up right now on ebray. a viv 100mm 1-1 f/3.5. Get a cheap 2x tele converter and remove the lens elements. Works nearly as good and easier to use.

Dawg

Not so loud Dawg! I have a bid on that one.:lol:
Also looking at a Vivitar 135mm f2.8 macro (by Komine)
Is it a good lens?:-?
Thanks, GW
Old Aug 25, 2008, 6:02 AM   #8

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
jachol wrote:
Quote:
Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Thanks,
GW

Thank you Jack,[/b]
I have a 50/f:2 that I was thinking of trying, along with the AF 540 flash. Do you think I could get good results with that set up? GW
GW, I'm sure the lens would work fine, but the flash would need to be off camera to avoid shadow problems. Like Roy and Dal, and probably others I'm a believer in macro and flash going hand in hand. ... Jack

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 4:22 PM   #9

Thanks again Jack,
I may try it just for fun.
GW:-)

Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:30 PM   #10

What are you planning on using the macro lens on GW? For flowers, stamps, and other stationary objects you have a wider choice of lenses. For insects you are going to want more reach, the 90mm-105mm macros would be the minimum for a 1:1 lens.

90% of my macro work is with an old Kiron made 105mm macro. The other lens I use is a Tamron Adaptall 300mm f/5.6 lens. It only goes to 1:2 but it gives me more reach than the Kiron and seems sharper than the Sigma 70-300mm macro zoom I had used previously. The Tamron mainly comes out for shy butterflies.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote