Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 25, 2008, 1:21 PM   #11

Like the butterfly the best. What a great place to take pictures, but then again you're pretty good at finding interesting pictures just about anywhere.
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 7:24 PM   #12

Great shots Harriet, Well done.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 9:58 PM   #13

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I'm now on vacation. I now don't remember who posted some macros taken while he was on vacation (was it Tim? I don't remember!). I did more or less the same thing.

First, a small butterfly, notmuch bigger than my thumbnail. I don't know what type of flower these were, thought they might be some type of phlox. It was just a wildflower that was growing along the trail, an uphill climb to the top of a ski area.
Yep, that was me and your shot is a nice one. Great composition and color. I like the landscapes too. You mentioned people looking at you oddly for taking photos of a butterfly in front of a great landscape. I think one of the things photography has taught me is to appreciate the details in both the vast and the tiny and this series shows that appreciation well.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:20 PM   #14

Tim - I've been getting carried away on this vacation, and I haven't been looking around as much as I usually do. It's my loss, I sometimes get very fixated on one thing and miss the rest. This trip has been interestingsince Dan has taken over the K100 and DA*50-135 (he didn't like the kit lens or the 12-24). He's not really a camera person (he's never owned a camera and just learned how to mount a lens and operate a zoom lens), so he'll spend more time looking and pointing the camera, while I'm changing lenses, thinking about exposure and closely examining one item trying to decide how best to take a picture of it. His pictures make me feel very humble as he's seeing things I'm missing. On the other hand, I've managed to take some pretty good pictures, too.

On the other hand, between the two of us we've got about 5 different topics worth of pictures. It's been really great fun!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 3:06 PM   #15

You can't fool us any longer, Harriet. You're actually working for the Federal Feserve and you were in Wyoming for the Fed's big symposium with world bankers in Jackson Hole last week, right? Fabulous pix!

Steve
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 5:53 PM   #16

LOL! Not likely. We left Jackson on Friday and I'm now a little further north.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 1:49 AM   #17

I have a hard time deciding if #2 or #3 is the one I like the best, both are very worthy for the montly challange. The others are also very good. Just home from a marvellous journey, they awake my lust for travelling! So much to see out there!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:02 AM   #18

I like the butterfly Harriet, very sharp. An area like Yellostone is so vast it is hard to decide what to take photos of so you are lucky you don't have the 36 exposure limit that film use to have.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 2:26 PM   #19

Awesome scenery Harriet.

My wife is like your Dan - not a photo person, doesn't always understand why I have so much equipment, and can take a better shot than me at times......

Very frustrating. LOL

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 6:55 AM   #20

The complete vacation series if wonderful, but for me the second shot is my favorite for all of them.

Great work
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote