Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 25, 2008, 6:14 PM   #1

I've been playing a bit with HDR software. Went back and tried it with a couple of older pics. It makes the water droplets stand out much more in the web pic and makes the water on the Dragonfly's wings look like ice (in my printed version, anyway). Any comments?

Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2008, 7:27 PM   #2

Definitely a WOW! The spider web is just awesome! It looks like using HDR for things like this, you avoid the halos you see with some of the conversions I've seen.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 8:28 PM   #3

Looking Good
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 9:08 PM   #4

My husband keeps downloading various HDR programs and playing with them. Hasn't shown me any of what he's done yet. Just keeps telling me.

These are nice. I especially like the spider webs. Very sharp.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:04 AM   #5

How many images did you use to form the basis of you final HDR image. I am impressed. I have been trying HDR with some of my vacation pics and not had too much success. I found that the HDR for me produced too many areas with blown highlights.

Also, can you share your workflow?

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 9:37 AM   #6

The first one is the way I like to see HDR used. Not so overboard but enhancing the photo. I like this program. http://mediachance.com/plugins/redynamix.html
It only requires one photo to achieve the HDR. I used it on these photos. http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80
It is a free evaluation program but doesn't expire. The only thing with the freebie is a logo on the photo that has to be cropped off. Still it is about the easiest way to HDR I've found yet.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2008, 4:35 PM   #7

I have used up to three photos for the HDR post processing. Both the web and the dragonfly were produced using a single photo. The software I am using is FDR Tools Basic 2.1 (http://www.fdrtools.com/front_e.php) .

My work flow is:
  1. RAW Processing;[/*]Convert to 8 bit TIF File;[/*]Produce HDR in FDR Tools;[/*]Tone map using FDR tools;[/*]Save as TIF File;[/*]Use Photoshop for any last fine adjustments ( I have the software set to open the saved file in Photoshop automatically after saving);[/*]Sharpen and save as TIF or JPEG.[/*]
Not a lot to it—the software is pretty "automatic." I find that there are images that are suited for HDR and others that are not. If the tone-mapped HDR version doesn't look good after a simple conversion in FDR Tools, I move on to a different photo that may be better suited. I haven't done enough of these to get a real feel for which ones are going to work best—kind of a trial and error process at this point.

I do find that sharpening after the HDR and Tone-Mapping process works really well.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 5:09 PM   #8

Here's a before and after example of a pic that lends itself to the HDR treatment I'm using. This was done using a single shot. Please don't quiz me too much on HDR--I'm by no means an expert (a real newbie, in fact). I'm just experimenting and plan to do more multiple image HDR this weekend.

Before

After

Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:34 PM   #9

I agree. There are some photos that do benefit greatly from HDR. This is a very good example of it.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 8:18 AM   #10

Thanks Rick.

I tried HDR with CS3 and multiple pictures with mixed results. I tried as few as three and as many as nine. In my case I found that generating HDR images, actually blew out highlights; in the sky for example.

I agree...not every picture is suited to HDR. I have applied HDR only o landscapes where I have been able to get multiple exposure images (usually with different shutter sppeds).

Adobe CS3 HDR is prettu straight forward. That being said, I have not yet found a good tutorial about it. None of my books refer to it...this is perhaps because HDR is a special and infrequently used application.

Thanks

Feroz

p.s. I drove right through La Suer, on my way back from SD en route to Minneapolis about a month and a half ago!!!
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote