Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 26, 2008, 5:17 PM   #1

I left my bird guide book at home (dumb). I think this is an osprey, but am not sure. Yesterday I watched it gliding above the Firehole River. Before I could switch from the 12-24 to the 300, it dived into the river, but came up empty. It soard a while more before gliding off behind the trees.

I know, they aren't the greatest but then I'm not much of a birder. At least I didn't have any trouble idenifying the Canadian Geese that I saw today!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:12 PM   #2

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I left my bird guide book at home (dumb). I think this is an osprey, but am not sure. Yesterday I watched it gliding above the Firehole River. Before I could switch from the 12-24 to the 300, it dived into the river, but came up empty. It soard a while more before gliding off behind the trees.

I know, they aren't the greatest but then I'm not much of a birder. At least I didn't have any trouble idenifying the Canadian Geese that I saw today!
Yep,sure is!
it's better than I've been able to get.:G
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:12 AM   #3

Yes it is an Ospery and not a bad shot using a 24mm lens.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 3:22 PM   #4

I didn't even try to take one with the 12-24, these were taken with the A*300, once I finally got the lenses changed. I missed his/her dive (which is just like me - always have the wrong lens on when I see something unusual).
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:38 PM   #5

What a magnificent bird and a pretty good shot as well.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:54 PM   #6

The ID on your Osprey has been confirmed Harriet, so you don't need me there. They are pretty cool birds. There are some that hunt (fish?) over the lake behind my house pretty regularly but they always wait until the sun is down or nearly down and the light is poor. I have noticed that, unlike a lot of other fishing birds I have seen, the Ospreys go in feet first.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:48 PM   #7

I looked them up on the internet, - they use long talons to grab/hook fish and then fly off with them. They aren't a bird I ever see (there not being any body of water around where I live, except the county park that stocks trout) and I find them much more interesting than the common red-tailed hawk.