Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 27, 2008, 7:20 PM   #1

Well, It's not really what I'd call macro but, it's a fair close up
For a $20 sears 80-200mm with 2x converter.
GW

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:49 PM   #2

Not bad at all GW.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:44 PM   #3

Good first attempt shot, macro sure isn't easy.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:52 PM   #4

Focus point off just a hare... Very easy to miss focus with macro due to the razor thing DOF.

IMO: Amazing shot for your first try at such a challenging task!

-Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:53 PM   #5

Your dof is tiny with macro stuff, as you can tell here. Your flower is nicely in focus but the bee is just OOF. The lens looks pretty sharp with the TC, so you've got a set-up that works. Now go out and have fun, and get frustrated with it all!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:07 AM   #6

As Harriet said, now you get to enjoy the frustration of Macro Photography, so have fun!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:43 PM   #7

Thanks for all the feedback and good advice everybody!:bye:
I have a Vivitar 135 Macro on its way that I'm hoping will make for a better lens for macros.
Harriet and Tom, you're absolutely right about the frustration part!:angry::G
When I got home from work Wednesday I wasn't really feeling too well so I wasn't planning on taking any pictures but, when I opened the living room blinds, and I saw all these bees all over my Golden Dew Drops. I couldn't help myself; I had to go take a few pics. Well even though there were at least 50 or more bees wasp and other assorted insects swarming all over the flowers, the tricky part was trying to get them to sit still long enough to get the camera in focus. By the time I was focused, they would move! Or the wind would blow them out of view. Out of 32 shots, this was the best of the bees. I got one fair shot of a wasp, and the bumble bee totally refused to lite on a bloom long enough to even aim, let alone focus and shoot.:roll: I took what I had inside to process
I got the above shot posted and really started feeling bad. Chest and arms were hurting… took my blood presure, 193/122:shock:

Not too much later I was being admitted to the hospital for what they thought was a heart attack. Turns out it wasn't and they just released me about 30 minutes ago. They still don't know what the cause was for the chest pain but, I guess I'm going to live. Anyway I'm off work till Tuesday so I'm going to go have some fun being frustrated!
GW

Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:01 PM   #8

Dang GW, I knew LBA was infectious, but I did not know it could cause you to be hospitalized! More seriously, I am glad to hear you are OK.

I find macro photography is a lot like hunting. For insects that move quite a bit a prefer to watch them for a bit, figure out where they are likely to go, and prefocus there. If you already have the right bloom in focus you can generally get several good shots once the bee or other insects lights on your flower. Another way that macro photography is like hunting is that my chances of success go waaaaay down. Instead of culling 50% of my shots in the first cut, I tend to cut closer to 90% of macro shots.

I think you had a good first try. The nicest thing about macro photography is the easy availability of subjects. You can find something worth photographing nearly any afternoon in your own back yard.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:16 PM   #9

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Dang GW, I knew LBA was infectious, but I did not know it could cause you to be hospitalized! More seriously, I am glad to hear you are OK.

Tim
Thank you Tim,
Yes, this should be a warning... LBA can lead to serious side effects.
:shock:

High B/P is one so, be careful out there! :blah:
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:10 PM   #10

Glad to hear it wasn't anything serious. I sometimes think macro is like golf for most people - but it makes you want to toss your camera in the river, rather than wrap your club around a tree...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote