Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 28, 2008, 5:03 PM   #1

I was quite prepared to go for K20D with a printout ad from a competitive seller. Also I wanted to test out my Sigma flash AF500ST to see if it matches the new K20D. Got a couple of surprise:
1. iso 1600 shots of K20D is at least as good as K100D-a big big plus and relief
2. my Sigma flash (500 model not the current 530 model) is 100% compatible and I do not have to rechip the flash.
3. There was some focus issue of the lens. But it is entirely possible that I was not doing spot focus - I was dumb and I could not find it under K20D. It is not in its usual place as K100D or DL.
4. They could not price match and I was somewhat hesitant. I did not proceed. Well yet.

Hereinafter are the images that I took with my media . All were done with bounce flash from the ceiling with Sigma 500 flash

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2008, 5:27 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
2. my Sigma flash (500 model not the current 530 model) is 100% compatible and I do not have to rechip the flash.

Daniel
I realized this as well when I purchased the K20D...i.e. my Sigma 500 DG Super works just fine in the P-TTL mode. I had heard that a re-chip was required to work with the K10D and therefore I was expecting it to do the same for the K20D. Saved me the bother of having to send it in for re-chipping!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:02 PM   #3

Changing the focus mode is a dial on the camera, not a menu item. Some of the early 16-50 lenses had some issues, I wonder if the one you tried was one of those? Of course, you can also adjust the AF with the K20. I love the K20, but I'm still not sold on the 16-50. I'd like to upgrade my kit lens sometime but am in no rush and haven't made up my mind whether I'll get the Pentax or one of the third party fast lenses. My vote would be to get the K20 and skip the lens for now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 4:27 PM   #4

Re. the performance of this lens, the images do look soft. On the other hand, I absolutely love my DA *16-50mm and have gotten nice crisp images from it. I've posted this before, but it serves as a good example"

Old Aug 30, 2008, 5:24 PM   #5

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Re. the performance of this lens, the images do look soft.* On the other hand, I absolutely love my DA *16-50mm and have gotten nice crisp images from it.* I've posted this before, but it serves as a good example"

Jelpee
Yours is a keeper and likely you make sure your lens is free of finger prints unlike the sample lens

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 7:35 PM   #6

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
jelpee wrote:

Jelpee
Yours is a keeper and likely you make sure your lens is free of finger prints unlike the sample lens

Daniel
Daniel,

I treat my 2 DA* lenses with the utmost care...almost surgical.Also got a Heliopan UV filter on the 16-50 mm to make sure the lens surface remains sterile. I wonder if this is some kind of an affliction...I mean this "Monk" like behaviour when it comes to the maintenence of my lenses:lol:

Jay