Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 30, 2008, 9:32 PM   #1

I sold my K100D + kit lens last week, and was planning to buy the K20D, when I started thinking that I only had one lens under the Pentax system left. After holding a Nikon D60, I was amazed at how bulky my K100D felt, while the D60 fit so well in my hands. This had me seriously considering making the move to Nikon.

Today I went to Keeble & Schuchat in Palo Alto, CA to see what I'd be missing if I didn't get the K20D. After holding the camera in my hands, I was surprised that it fit well enough in my hands. It was no D60 in terms of its small grip, but it didn't have the sharp narrow grip at the front like the K100D. It had a nice rounded and short curve to it, which my tiny hands could comfortably hold, much to my amazement. Furthermore, the camera felt lighter than my K100D! I was expecting a heavier camera, but instead felt a slightly lighter one. Looking through the viewfinder, I was stunned at how much clearer the K20D was compared to my K100D, of course due to the K20D's pentaprism. The shutter was so much quieter than the K100D, as well!

The final thing that shocked me was the price differential between the K20D and the D300, which the salesman considered the Nikon equivalent of the K20D. The Pentax K20D + the DA* 16-50mm would have costed less than the D300 body alone!

After seeing that fact, I was wooed back to the Pentax bandwagon, and purchased the K20D on the spot (after a bit of haggling). I didn't get the 16-50, but I will come next paycheck.

I was on the verge of switching to Nikon, but decided to stay with the Pentax fold. Close call!

I'll hopefully start posting photos once I figure out how to operate the damn thing...

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2008, 9:46 PM   #2

Glad you saw the "Light".

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:52 PM   #3

Nice going Jason, congratulations.
I think you'll like it a lot. And we expect to see lots of good pics coming this way too!:G
GW
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:23 AM   #4

There is something about the grip on the K20 that makes the camera feel very comfortable. It isn't all that much different than the K10, and its a hair heavier, but it somehow felt lighter than the K10 to me. I had always thought it was the fact I was frustrated with my particular K10 and so I was gripping it harder, andthe K20 worked better for me so it felt lighter because I was so delighted in the results.But now that I read your comments, I think that the slight differences in the ergonomics make a realdifference.

Personally, I'm happy you chose the K20, because I've always loved your pictures and will enjoy seeing you post them here.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 5:43 AM   #5

Nice to see that you've stuck with pentax.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 9:19 AM   #6

Quite a while ago, I remember seeing a red frame outline of a K10 superimposed over the K100, and by extension, just assumed that the K20 was just as large. I dropped by a couple of camera stores locally to see the K20 (in the last 6 months), but they only carried the base entry model - K200. I do have to admit that I have not really sought one out either. Anyway its good to know that the K20 in comparison to the K100 (which I have) is a positive in terms of equal or smaller size.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:41 AM   #7

I don't want to give the wrong information here. The K20D is larger in both width and height. It is slightly thinner, according to the specs sheet (2.76 vs 2.8), which was why it is easier for my hands to grip.

The specs sheets shows that the K20D is heavier (28.2 vs 22.4 oz), but to me the K20D felt lighter. Perhaps they used CR-V3 batteries when weighing the K100D; I always used Eneloops in the camera, which aren't the lightest AAs out there. I'm guessing the lighter battery and the smaller grip in the K20D makes the camera feel more balanced in my hand, making it seem lighter.

Just for comparison, the D300 weighs in at 29.3 oz and is larger in every dimension when compared to the K20D.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:56 AM   #8

A camera needs to feel right and have the controls that you can access easily to suit your shooting preferences.

Nice to see the K20D fits for you, which in turn will have you shoot even more and have more to share here with this forum.

I still enjoy my DS over my K100D. In fact,I made the decision to move on from some of what I had used in the past and give someone else the opportunity to use it instead of just sitting around not doing much at all.

If it weren't for the DS I would not be shooting Pentax at all anymore.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote