Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:25 PM   #1

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice with my situation: I dropped my k100d and broke the auto-focus (unit attempts to focus but never locks up). I sent it in to Pentax for repairs and the cost will be around $372. Now I am wondering if I should invest some extra $$ and upgrade to the k200d? I have the 18-55 kit lens that came with the k100d and also a 50-200 so I will be reusing these with the new body.

I use my camera mainly for family photos, vacation pics, kids' sports (gymnastics, judo), so I am not a particularly demanding user. However I don't buy equipment very often so I am thinking that the increased MP, sealed body, and other improvements of the k200d would be a sensible investment.

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated!

thanks,
corey
corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:37 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

corey wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
However I don't buy equipment very often so I am thinking that the increased MP, sealed body, and other improvements of the k200d would be a sensible investment

thanks,
corey
I think you have answered your own question! A K200D on Amazon.com can be got for $619 including the kit lens and free shipping. If you can spring for the extra $300, that would be my direction. I use a K20D and cannot speak for the K200D. There are several on this forum that post some fine images from the K200D--perhaps they can weigh in on the performance.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 1:02 PM   #3

corey wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I would appreciate some advice with my situation: I dropped my k100d and broke the auto-focus (unit attempts to focus but never locks up). I sent it in to Pentax for repairs and the cost will be around $372. Now I am wondering if I should invest some extra $$ and upgrade to the k200d? I have the 18-55 kit lens that came with the k100d and also a 50-200 so I will be reusing these with the new body.

I use my camera mainly for family photos, vacation pics, kids' sports (gymnastics, judo), so I am not a particularly demanding user. However I don't buy equipment very often so I am thinking that the increased MP, sealed body, and other improvements of the k200d would be a sensible investment.

thanks,
corey
Corey

I just went thru the same thing. My k100d sensor went bad and Pentax wanted over $300 to fix it.
I actually debated upgrading to the K20D, but financially pressures just would not allow the extra money.
After up much thought, i figured why put money into an older Camera, when for a few hundred more I can get the advantages that the K200 Offers. Like you I had my Lenses already so all i needed was the Body.
I am Not sorry that i made that decision. Here is a thread i started with shots from my K200d http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

Feel free to Message me if you have any questions

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 3:14 PM   #4

Corey,

I also have the K100. Was purchased in July 2006 so was one of the first one's released.

I think if I had the extra $250 there would be no question that I'd spring for the K200. You are getting more MP, sealed bodyplus any little minor tweaks they've done since these models came out. If you're like me, a year from now you'd be regretting you stayed at the K100.

Just my two cents worth.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 5:13 PM   #5

I was in the same boat, but went for a used K10D instead that cost me $500 and has more features than the K200D.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 8:17 PM   #6

Go with the K200D which is more camera than the K100D obviously but more to your level of what you need. I have a K100D and it collects dust (not the sensor). High iso and low light is the only use I really have for it and with my growing and expanding interest in using strobes has practically negated my need for this camera. It will be finding a new home where it can be put to good use rather than sit.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:41 PM   #7

My two cents is that the repair cost is high comparedto the camera's current worth. If the cost of the repair is as high as you can go, then get it repaired or else look around for a used K100 Super (check out keh, for instance). But I think the best use of your money would be to upgrade to the K200.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 7:45 AM   #8

hi asahi photo ltd offer complete back including glass for £25 including postage their phone number is 02082328111
alex m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 1:05 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I am leaning towards upgrading to the k200d. It's a bit of a stretch but in the long run I think it will make more sense to spend the extra money now. One aspect that perhaps you can explain to me is the expected lifetime of the sensor. I don't recall how many pictures I have taken on my k100d but is the sensor life based on how many pictures are taken? Or age?

One of the posters suggested a used k10d. I am considering something like this as well but my concern is that it's more camera than I need or want at this point and also that it's physically a bigger camera (one of the things that attracted me to the k100d was its compact size). Perhaps the latter is not really an issue?

corey

corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 5:38 PM   #10

Size/weight can be a big issue for some people. For some reason I was never totally comfortable with my K10 (which did have some intermittent AF issues), yet I love my K20. If you think you'll be uncomfortable with the extra weight and size, then make sure you try it before you buy one. Nothing worse than having a camera you can't get along with.

The K200 has most of the capabilities of the K10, just that the controls are in menus rather than having the ability to change things on the camera body. There are a few things that the K10 has that the K200 doesn't, but I'm not sure that they are deal-breakers - it's having the controls on the camera body that is so nice to have. If the price of the two cameras were the same, I'd probably choose the K200 - I still own the K100 I bought when I first came out.

I don't think the sensor life is tied to the number of pictures. However, the shutter is a mechanical part and would wear out (most likely) before the sensor does.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote