Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:19 AM   #1

back from vacations, i had the chance to use a lot the kit lenses on my k10d, and i have to admit i'm very happy about them, now I just have to decide if keeping them or try the 18-250 if it's comparable.

50-200 portrait

Attached Images

Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:20 AM   #2

18-55 landscape

Attached Images

Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:46 AM   #3

Both these lens will give quite acceptable results and are good value for money.

The 18-250mm (Pentax or Tamron as they are optically identical but the Pentax costs a whole lot more) will perform very well & will be a close match to the 18-55mm & 50-200mm BUT you will have to stop down to avoid vignetting across the whole range or use lens correction software to reduce vignetting should it occur.

I own all three of these lens (Tamron version) & find that as a general walk around lens, it is very good,

I increase the ISO whenever necessary to avoid vignetting.

Lens corection software (I've used Photoshop) works much better on the RAW image before conversion.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:18 AM   #4

Love the pictures. It doesn't look like you'd gain anything by going with the 18-250, other than a bit of extra reach. I think it would be more to the point to keep the duo you have and buy a 300mm lens for the extra reach.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 10:42 AM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Love the pictures. It doesn't look like you'd gain anything by going with the 18-250, other than a bit of extra reach. I think it would be more to the point to keep the duo you have and buy a 300mm lens for the extra reach.
Love my Kit lens and for a walk about it is very good as it's portrait and close up performance is very good, not to mention vignette less wide landscapes. The 50-200 is a great addition to continue the zoom length progression. Both of these are light weight lens and easily carried as a tandem. I use the 18-55 kit lens and then the 50-500mm Sigma as this gives me the broadest range in a 2 lens duo. Both are quite good at portraits.

The 18-55 kit lens shot this.

This is with the Bigma from 3 feet.

And this with the Kit lens.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:25 PM   #6

I have seen some good shots with the 18-250 but I think the lenses you have now were a wise investment. My18-55 kit lens has seen heavy use on the K100d and K10d. The two 70-300mm lenses I have tried got quite a bit softer after 200mm and the 50-200mm did pretty well all the way out to 200mm, so you may be missing less than you think.

From the pics I have seen posted here, the new 50-300mm looks like a strong contender if you want more zoom. No matter what lens you buy, I would hang on to the 18-55mm, the price/performance ratio for that lens is dang good IMO.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote