Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 2, 2008, 1:37 PM   #1

I took the kids out for a walk today down along the Niagara River in Tonawanda NY. Not a lot of activity surprisingly on the river despite being such a nice day. Kids haven't started school yet. Anyway, some ducks a seagull. All taken with my Sigma 24-135mm.

MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:45 PM   #2

Good work, Mike. I like em' all. The water background in each shot really makes the birds stand out.

Glenn

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:04 PM   #3

Very nicely done. I am always amazed how clear the water is there now! It sure hasn't always been like that!

I have fished with my brother just into the lake from the river kind of towards Canada and you could see the bottom in 25ft! And see fish too!

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:40 PM   #4

Thank you all. I took a lot of pictures of these ducks to try and get a few good ones.

This one I liked as well, the way the relection off the water was it really showed the rippling of the water as the duck was swimming by.

Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:42 PM   #5

Driver3 wrote:
Quote:
Very nicely done. I am always amazed how clear the water is there now! It sure hasn't always been like that!

I have fished with my brother just into the lake from the river kind of towards Canada and you could see the bottom in 25ft! And see fish too!

Dennis
Clear water can be a bad thing though. It can be a sign that the lake is polluted and it's dead since there is very little to no algae or other plants/animals around to cloud up the water. My mom used to do testing of the lake water with the Niagara Region when I was younger and that's what she used to tell me.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 9:34 PM   #6

However, the turbidity of Lake Erie and the Niagara River caused the native vegatation to disappear and be replaced with non native species that did well in murky water and lived only in the shalows.

Now, with the introduction of the zebra mussel with it's filtering action, the native vegatation has returned and the gamefish populations are doing exceedingly well!

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:12 PM   #7

And nature proves once again that it can trump anything else by balancing itself.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:47 AM   #8

The ducks are very nicely done. I know that some of the hot springs in Yellowstone are incredibly clear, while others have all sorts of different colors. It all depends on the temperature of the water as to what microbes can live in it. It's an interesting topic.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote