Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:11 PM   #1

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/gbhuis...ey=UHFGZ60nO6g#

selection of images of wildlife, landscapes and people of Southern Africa. Hopefully you'll enjoy them. Thanks for looking.
wittetulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:03 AM   #2

Excellent shots! I like the elephants playing in the water, and some of your portraits are wonderful, too. What about posting a couple here (not all of them, but a few). I don't know anything about picasa's web site, but I think you can use it to link a picture here, like the sand dune tourist location.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:09 PM   #3

Cool photos. I loved the elephants and the giraffes and zebras at the water hole.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:04 AM   #4

A lot of nice ones.I also like the zebras at the water hole, and I see you share my experience: You cannot take a picture of elephants that doesn't come out good.

Some real good portraits, too.

Thanks for sharing!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:15 AM   #5

What a wonderful group of photos. I love the portraits and group photos of the children. Very heart warming.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 8:41 AM   #6

I have to admit; images of children, where-ever taken, nearly always look good, and these are always my favourite images as they are so "alive". And the "reward" of seeing themselves on the screen after always delights them.

Choice of 18-250 zoomlens was absolute spot on as it gave the flexibility i needed, without needing to change the lens at any stage. Whethger i should have used some kind of tripod a bit more often, specially for the 250mm images ids open for discussion.

I used 4 lithium AA batteries, and amazingly managed toi get close to 1000 pictures out of each set, even with frequent flash use.

Technically the biggest challenge was to deal with the contrasts between light and shade and with all the bright light around, i got the feeling that the camera had the tendency to underexpose the subjects a bit. I tried different ways of metering but i am not sure I succeeded. With my compact in the past i often focussed initially on an area with in my view suitable brightness and distance, and by halfpressing the shutter i would lock that setting before turning to the subject in question. This did not seem to work with the pentax.

Would there be certain settings which would have dealed better with high contrast situations?
Old Sep 4, 2008, 9:10 AM   #7

Use the AE-L button on the camera to lock exposure (I use it occasionally when I want to meter on something specific). You can also set the camera to lock the exposure with the focus lock, like your p&s where the exposure is locked when you half-press the shutter, but it's a menu item.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:19 AM   #8

thanks, i wondered what that button was for, have had no time to restudy the manual again since holiday, might have to do that
Old Sep 4, 2008, 3:52 PM   #9

Those are beautiful shots and I like the people shots the best, although you have some wonderful landscape and animal shots too! Great work. I would also go with Harriet's suggestion using the AE-L button. Another good thing to do is use the exposure adjustment where you can under or over expose the shot, but it will take a bit more time to adjust than Harriet's way.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote