Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:26 AM   #1

I'm selling a Sigma lens on Craigslist, and one of the interested people wants the original receipt from when I bought it 3 months ago. I'm worried about my personal info (such as my home address and some digits of my CC) being on the receipt, so I'm wondering if I should include the receipt. Is including the receipt standard practice? I can see a need for one if a warranty issue arises, but what do I do if I'm selling the lens?

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2008, 1:47 AM   #2

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
I'm selling a Sigma lens on Craigslist, and one of the interested people wants the original receipt from when I bought it 3 months ago. I'm worried about my personal info (such as my home address and some digits of my CC) being on the receipt, so I'm wondering if I should include the receipt. Is including the receipt standard practice? I can see a need for one if a warranty issue arises, but what do I do if I'm selling the lens?

- Jason
The original receipt is mine and any personal data will never be included in a sale. I might give a photo copy but all personal data would be blanked out. If that was not satisfactory then I just find another buyer...There are thousands out there.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 5:27 AM   #3

Definitely agree with Dawg.

Never give your personal info. Nothing to stop the buyer taking the lens back to the shop and causing all sorts of trouble for you.

P/Copy and blank your bits out, then write COPY on it.

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 5:37 AM   #4

Identity fraud is all to common these days, never divulge any personal information unnecessarily. I'm told all that is needed is a name, address, and date of birth ....so beware. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 5:50 PM   #5

Hi,

Or you could just say you misplaced the receipt...... You will find that answer alot on eBay.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 7:35 PM   #6

i agree, blankout your info and give him a copy.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:50 AM   #7

I see it from the other side, the buyer's side.

I would never buy a somewhat new second hand lens without the original buyer's receipt, as a proof that the lens isn't stolen or shop-lifted. I also demand to get an additional receipt issued by the seller to give me proof that I myself bought the lens in an honest way, i e if it becomes an insurance errand. There's a huge market for stolen goods, not leastly on ebay. As I see it we all become an accomplice if we buy without questions asked.

And if it's as new as your's the receipt is also needed for warranty issues.

What information is possible to draw from the receipt that a frauder can use for illegitimate purposes? I guess your name and address is already well spread and easily attained from public and commercial files. Is there a credit card number on the receipt?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:38 AM   #8

you mean we are supposed to save those things?

i have never sold an item and included the original receipt with it.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:53 AM   #9

ishino wrote:
Quote:
you mean we are supposed to save those things?

i have never sold an item and included the original receipt with it.
Neither have I. If it is a warranty issue then I can see the point in it. If they suspect I'm selling stolen goods then I don't want to do business with them anyway. The inference is an insult to me.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 4:16 PM   #10

When I sold my K10d it had 6 months under warranty still, I included the receipt paperwork. Between pipl.com and zabasearch.com and birthdatabase.com someone can get most of your information (including your date of birth) with only your name and town, free. If they invest $3.00 they can get even more here: www.intelius.com. I do not know how well they gather info on citizens of other countries besides the USA but the critical mass of information that can be gathered by these search engines is pretty scary. Living in Florida is particularly bad as our Sunshine Law makes nearly every official record a public document and most of them are online and gathered by these search engines.

I'm not saying you shouldn't worry about the receipt, I am just pointing out that there is a lot more out there to be worried about too. Searching only with my name and the state of Florida and only using free internet resources I found my name and date of birth, address, my wife's name, address, and date of birth and my children's names. Also a helpful satellite image map of my house. In my line of work, that is scary.

Tim

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote