Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 4, 2008, 5:41 AM   #1

Some of you may be interested ... I just posted in "Memory, microdrives etc." this item.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=52

I seem to remember others posting on this subject. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2008, 3:03 PM   #2

It doesn't look like it supports SDHC Cards.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 7:56 PM   #3

hey jack,

after my tower crashed i decided to go laptop all the way. i mainly use the LT as a tower and it has an onboard sd slot. i've also got a cord that hooks up to one of my many HDDs. the 17'' screen is as wide as my 19''crt but not as tall.. 3 year extended service plan. i'm set.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2008, 11:56 PM   #4

IntrepidWalker wrote:
Quote:
It doesn't support SDHC. I have one, it is good, but each day renders it less useful as SDHC cards are increasingly the norm.
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 4:37 AM   #5

nznhut wrote:
Quote:
IntrepidWalker wrote:
Quote:
It doesn't support SDHC. I have one, it is good, but each day renders it less useful as SDHC cards are increasingly the norm.
I don't use SDHC cards myself, at least not so far, so no problem for me, I also visualise secondary use ofthe unit as a portable external drive, so nothing lost if it

becomes obsolete in it's intended role, I already have the 2.5" drive lying idle anyway.

Roy, ... I see where you're coming from, doubt I'd ever take that path, I don't get on with laptops ... hate their keyboards, and the quality of their display is often lacking

OK if their onboard video card can drive a decent outboardmonitor, but that's not always the case. ... just my thoughts. ... Jack.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:27 AM   #6

jachol wrote:
Quote:
Roy, ... I see where you're coming from, doubt I'd ever take that path, I don't get on with laptops ... hate their keyboards, and the quality of their display is often lacking

OK if their onboard video card can drive a decent outboardmonitor, but that's not always the case. ... just my thoughts. ... Jack.
i've seen no problem so far. i don't see the difference between this and a tower. keyboard is full size with a number pad. the screen isn't bad but my CRT is truer. i'm in the market for a 22'' flatpanel.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:04 AM   #7

I've been using a laptop as my computer for a long time. I use a different monitor at home as my laptop is older and the monitor not very good. I don't mind the keyboard (it doesn't have a keypad, but is otherwise about the same size keys as a regular keyboard), and I have a separate mouse I use (don't like the trackpad). Since we've been doing mostly road trips, I like not having to change computers and sync them when I get home, or run different software packages or whatever.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:07 AM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
jachol wrote:
Quote:

i've seen no problem so far. i don't see the difference between this and a tower. keyboard is full size with a number pad. the screen isn't bad but my CRT is truer. i'm in the market for a 22'' flatpanel.

Roy, be sure your laptops onboard video card will support the wide screen format if you buy the 22", I ran into to trouble with that when I bought my Xerox XM3-22W

The onboard video card of the mobo wouldn't support the required native resolution of 1440 X 900 pixelsof the monitor, even though it was a reasonable quality card.

Cost me another £50 for a PCIcard that suited, being a laptop you may have no option to change the card.

Harriet, OK your comments on the laptop ... I just don't like the feel of notebook keyboards, and the board layout isn't something I'm used too, although with regular

use I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem. ...I don't find them positive ... somefeel like putty, and as you say a seperate mouse is a must, a separate number pad

would help too. ... Jack

Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:34 AM   #9

my thing is if i am going to dump one of my sd cards to a hard drive -i want to know the items transferred okay and i usually do that by previewing thumbnails. i don't think you can do this with a device like this, so you are putting a lot of faith that the images transferred without any hiccups before zapping them off your sd card.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:55 PM   #10

Ill add my 2cents.
While there are a couple of Disadvantages to this method, I Use my Ipod Video. Its Slow, so i usually only Back Up when i am at a place that has power. But its does the trick.
The Ipod Will display Jpeg s but Will Not display RAW Shots. This Works well For me as I usually Take very Few RAW Shots On Vacations.
Since i have the Ipod With Me a Majority Of the Time Why Spent the Extra money.

I'lll weigh in on the LT Verses desktop. I love my Laptop, I hate the keyboard. However, I Will AlWAYS have a desktop, for various reasons
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote