Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2008, 1:04 PM   #1

Took my 2 youngest for a walk around the Buffalo waterfront today. First the Buffalo Naval and Servicemen's Park then the Erie Basin Marina. Here are a few pictures, lens used is my favorite Sigma 24-135mm:

You can see more here, including a series of wooden statues cut from trees that fell during the October storm of 2006.

Thank you for looking.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2008, 3:58 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great color and sharpness on these well composed images! I'm interested to know how much post processing you did especially in the area of sharpness. Regardless, they are excellent. Hail to the Sigma 24-135 and the photographer!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 4:05 PM   #3

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Great color and sharpness on these well composed images! I'm interested to know how much post processing you did especially in the area of sharpness. Regardless, they are excellent. Hail to the Sigma 24-135 and the photographer!
Well, I'm not a wiz with photo editing software, I just play around with some of the settings until the pictures look right to me. I use the latest Lightroom and most times just do an auto tone then adjust exposure down a little, a little fill light. When I create the web page with Lightroom it does what it considers a standard sharpening on the pics. But to be honest, the originals are fairly sharp to begin with. And other than that I do crop the pictures down to what I want. That's just about it.

And thank you for the comments. It was pointed out on another forum that I had a couple pictures with spots on them so I have to go back and check my lens and sensor for spots dust. Might have to learn how to clone to clean those up.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 4:25 PM   #4

Beautiful photos Mike, and sharp as has been mentioned. Practice with the clone tool to remove any spots in your photos. They will happen at the worst times. They happen to everyone.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 5:04 PM   #5

Great shots, Mike. You've done Buffalo proud - again.

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 5:40 PM   #6

a200user wrote:
Quote:
Great shots, Mike. You've done Buffalo proud - again.

Jim
I just like to highlight all the good things to see in this area. I think people associate a lot of bad things like snow and the shrinking nature of the city.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:35 PM   #7

And what's wrong with snow? I really like snow (though perhaps not in the quantity you get in Buffalo). The city has a good hockey team and a great hockey announcer (he's such fun to listen to!). What more do you need in a city?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:46 PM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
And what's wrong with snow? I really like snow (though perhaps not in the quantity you get in Buffalo). The city has a good hockey team and a great hockey announcer (he's such fun to listen to!). What more do you need in a city?
Yes, Rick Jeanneret is a legend. Until they made him the TV announcer for the Sabres I'd turn on the radio while watching games just to hear his commentary rather than the losers from the other stations. Personally I don't mind the snow so much. It's the cold miserable winter that we get that I don't like and it drags on and on... I much prefer summer.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:57 PM   #9

Believe it or not, I'll often listen to him on the way home at night on XM (when the Kings aren't playing). We used to watch more Buffalo games when we lived closer to work - now we rarely get home early enough to catch more than the last few minutes of the east coast games, maybe the last half. Isn't it amazing that someone in California can become a Buffalo or Pittsburgh fan(that's who we followed mostly last year, since the Kings were so horrible) and be able to listen to or watch most of their games if they want to? Love all these satellite communication devices!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:02 AM   #10

Interesting series, great sharp shots.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote