Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:13 PM   #1

Finally the grouse has all his feathers back and can fly once again.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:42 PM   #2

Will he now be harder to photograph? I love him in the green grass, it's much easier to see him compared to some of the pictures you've posted when he's been in brown grass.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:58 AM   #3

Good to hear, nice shot.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:10 AM   #4

Until a few years ago I and my brother owned a large tract of land we had bought at depression prices. It was run down terribly. We improved it over a forty year period, the were offered a great price by the U.S. Government, and sold it to become part of the National Forest System.

From its austere beginnings, practically barren of wildlife, it gradually became populated with wild creatures of many species. There were wood ducks, Canada geese, quail, foxes, coyotes, skunks, and many other small creatures. We built several ponds to provide fish. We would camp on the land, but never were inclined to build any permanet structures.

Your picture of the grouse reminded me of the fact that ruffed grouse had repopulated our land, and it was not unusual to hear them drumming during the breeding season. I only spotted the grouse once or twice. They were very wary of human intrusions on "their" land.

You could see wild turkeys almost any time. During the last years we had an eagle's nest in a remote area of the land. We kep it a secret so people would not disturb them, and they were still there when last I was there.

I didn't photograph any of the creatures there, except for a buck deer I shot for food in about 1953. I still have its mounted head. A really fine taxidermist mounted it for me, and I believe it to be the most perfect white-tail deer mount I have ever seen. I will post a photo of it some day soon.

I wish I still owned the land, for I have grandsons who I would have liked to have inherited it. But as I grew old my brother died, and the land really needed the attention I could not give it but that the Forest Service could. They will publicize it as it is close to populated cities, and the public will rapidly degrade its primitive nature. The wildlife will be reduced, the grouse and eagles will disappear, but such is "progress".

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:48 AM   #5

I live in the woods a few miles from town and love the sight and sound of the wild animals that populate the area. I try to have my camera ready for the chance of getting a photo of the many animals and birds that live around here. Lately I have been so busy I really have not had the time to do any serious photography, but every once and a while I will get a shot off or two.

Your area seems to be very nice and would make a trip back worth while just to get some photos and to get back in touch with the place again.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:39 AM   #6

Beautiful bird there Tom. I'm living on land that has been in my family for over 100 years. Even though we are miles away from any town the area is becoming a bedroom community for Huntsville and all the businesses there. too many town folks moving out this way bringing their ignorance of wild areas with them. If it gets much more "Towny" here I may be forced to move.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 5:06 PM   #7

Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
Until a few years ago I and my brother owned a large tract of land we had bought at depression prices. It was run down terribly. We improved it over a forty year period, the were offered a great price by the U.S. Government, and sold it to become part of the National Forest System.

From its austere beginnings, practically barren of wildlife, it gradually became populated with wild creatures of many species. There were wood ducks, Canada geese, quail, foxes, coyotes, skunks, and many other small creatures. We built several ponds to provide fish. We would camp on the land, but never were inclined to build any permanet structures.

Your picture of the grouse reminded me of the fact that ruffed grouse had repopulated our land, and it was not unusual to hear them drumming during the breeding season. I only spotted the grouse once or twice. They were very wary of human intrusions on "their" land.

You could see wild turkeys almost any time. During the last years we had an eagle's nest in a remote area of the land. We kep it a secret so people would not disturb them, and they were still there when last I was there.

I didn't photograph any of the creatures there, except for a buck deer I shot for food in about 1953. I still have its mounted head. A really fine taxidermist mounted it for me, and I believe it to be the most perfect white-tail deer mount I have ever seen. I will post a photo of it some day soon.

I wish I still owned the land, for I have grandsons who I would have liked to have inherited it. But as I grew old my brother died, and the land really needed the attention I could not give it but that the Forest Service could. They will publicize it as it is close to populated cities, and the public will rapidly degrade its primitive nature. The wildlife will be reduced, the grouse and eagles will disappear, but such is "progress".

Old Engineer
That's a sad story. Too bad it couldn't have been sold as a nature preserve.
GW

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 6:37 PM   #8

Great shot Tom, there is so much detail in those feathers.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 3:52 AM   #9

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I live in the woods a few miles from town and love the sight and sound of the wild animals that populate the area. I try to have my camera ready for the chance of getting a photo of the many animals and birds that live around here. Lately I have been so busy I really have not had the time to do any serious photography, but every once and a while I will get a shot off or two.

Your area seems to be very nice and would make a trip back worth while just to get some photos and to get back in touch with the place again.

Tom
OE, what you and your brother did should be rewarded with some kind of medal or whatever. Right behind my house is a small forest I'd like to buy for the very same purpose, but the present owner isn't interested in selling. It's not a problem yet, but I'm very nervous about what his heirs will do to "economize their property".

Tom , you have found the key to a good life! And the grouse shot shows that you keep your level in spite of less practice recently.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote