Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 6, 2008, 8:20 PM   #1

Well, this weekend's adventure took us to Erie PA. We actually planned the trip for the zoo there. Stayed at the zoo for a couple hours and then took a ride down to Presque Isle State Park (I know some will say a birding opportunity missed) and my quest to photograph more of the Great Lakes Lighthouses was satisfied. Today I snapped 4. The weather however was not great but of course I did the best with what I had.

1) Presque Isle Lighthouse.

2) North Pier Light.

3) Erie Land Lighthouse.

4) Barcelona NY Lighthouse, this one however I don't know if it was ever really an active lighthouse on Lake Erie or just a landmark built on a private residence. It's still cool, and it's for sale for a mere $750,000.

*EDIT* This lighthouse was in fact a working lighthouse and actually the first building in the US to use Natural Gas piped in from a natural source about 3/4 of a mile away from the lighthouse. Here is a link to the history of this particular lighthouse - Barcelona Lighthouse aka Portland Harbor Lighthouse

MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2008, 8:59 PM   #2

Hey Mike,
Those are kool looking lighthouses.
Sure wish I had your gasoline budget, bet I could get a pretty nice lens for what you spend on fuel in a month!
GW
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 9:30 PM   #3

Well, all of the lighthouses, except for Sodus Point, have been within an hour to 2 hours drive. The amount we spend on gas is surprisingly low for the trips we take. Sodus Point was furthest we had travelled and that was about 3 hours away. The van is surprisingly decent on gas for long trips. We try to limit our trips to within an hour or 2 away from home and regardless how much we spend on gas, it's actually nice to get out for a drive or just go somewhere with the kids to get them out of the house and see the areas around Western NY. Besides the fact that my kids actually travel really well so that's a bonus.

With those 4 lighthouses, I have 9 now that I've photographed... I'm about ready to put together a collage. These lighthouses around here are indeed cool, I've always enjoyed just seeing them.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 9:59 PM   #4

Very cool! I love lighthouses. I've gotten Nubble Light in Maine and Portsmouth Harbor Light in NH. A few other smaller ones around. But, they're usually hard to get because they are out on the water.

Nice job. Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 11:50 PM   #5

Lighthouses photographed with cloudy skies only reminds me of why they were built in the first place. These are very nice shots and the exposure was very good.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:40 AM   #6

Mike

Great Shots As usuall. Keep up your quest, i really enjoy Seeing light houses from other parts of the country.
As have said before, Photographing light houses is one of my passions also. To that end. In a few weeks the Family and i Take our annual long weekend in Cape Cod.. While there i have arraigned to Visit and Actually go Inside a Working USCG Lighthouse. Its part of the Cape Cod National seashore and Is open to Vistors By Appt.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:47 AM   #7

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Very cool! I love lighthouses. I've gotten Nubble Light in Maine and Portsmouth Harbor Light in NH. A few other smaller ones around. But, they're usually hard to get because they are out on the water.

Nice job. Patty
Patty

I know what You Mean About getting To them. I did some research and found a Boat tour that Visits most( NOt All) of the remaining Ct lighthouses. I had hoped to do that this year, But with the Cost of fuel, the trip price Doubled and as you know My well situation ETC. i just Did not have the extra Money to do it.
I am Aiming For next Year.
I Believe that there is a boat trip out of Portsmouth harbor as well. If i can find the info for you, I Will send it

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:47 AM   #8

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Mike

Great Shots As usuall. Keep up your quest, i really enjoy Seeing light houses from other parts of the country.
As have said before, Photographing light houses is one of my passions also. To that end. In a few weeks the Family and i Take our annual long weekend in Cape Cod.. While there i have arraigned to Visit and Actually go Inside a Working USCG Lighthouse. Its part of the Cape Cod National seashore and Is open to Vistors By Appt.

Phil
Very cool. Both the Sodus Point and 30 Mile Point lighthouses that I have visited and photographed recently have been open to the public. I even ventured to the top of the 30 Mile Point lighthouse with my 5 yr old and 3 yr old. It was a scary experience because of the kids, but we made it back to tell the story. I'd love to get to Cape Cod again, not just for the lighthouses but also for the scenery and maybe the lobster.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 8:53 AM   #9

nhmom wrote:
Quote:

Nice job. Patty
Some day the east coast of the US and maritime provinces will be my vacation and I will try to see as many lighthouses as I can.

I know what you mean about some being harder to get at, like these (Buffalo water intake (left) and an old lighthouse that is not abandoned (right)):

Old Sep 7, 2008, 9:07 AM   #10

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Patty

I know what You Mean About getting To them. I did some research and found a Boat tour that Visits most( NOt All) of the remaining Ct lighthouses. I had hoped to do that this year, But with the Cost of fuel, the trip price Doubled and as you know My well situation ETC. i just Did not have the extra Money to do it.
I am Aiming For next Year.
I Believe that there is a boat trip out of Portsmouth harbor as well. If i can find the info for you, I Will send it

Phil
Hi Phil,

I almost went on the one in Portsmouth Harbor last month. But, the weekend my friend wanted to go we were in Quebec and because of the cost of fuel for that alone, decided against the lighthouses this year. I do have it on my list of things to do. She said it was really cool.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote