Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:27 PM   #11

The photo should be showing again.

Here's a tip for K10D/K20D owners. If you want a cheap alternative to the LI50 battery, which costs $46.95 at B&H, you can buy a Konica Minolta NP-400 battery, which is compatible with the K20/K10. I have a NP-400, and I can vouch for its compatibility. Better yet, the Konica Minolta battery only costs $9.95!!! Get them while you can!

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:32 PM   #12

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
The photo should be showing again.

Here's a tip for K10D/K20D owners. If you want a cheap alternative to the LI50 battery, which costs $46.95 at B&H, you can buy a Konica Minolta NP-400 battery, which is compatible with the K20/K10. I have a NP-400, and I can vouch for its compatibility. Better yet, the Konica Minolta battery only costs $9.95!!! Get them while you can!

- Jason
Jason

Thanks for the little tips.
Another thing before I call Henry.
There seems to be no preflash from both the built in flahs and ext flash. But it seems to be metering. Funny.
With both K100D and DL, I can go in a small pitch dark room and still take picture with the flash on.
This one K20D cannot. Is that something that I miss?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:41 PM   #13

I'm not sure what was going on with that camera of yours, but I'm definitely seeing the pre-flash on my K20D, both with built-in and hotshoe flash.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:26 PM   #14

Are you talking about the AF assist pre-flash light? My K20 definitely works and you can see it (tried with the DA*50-135).

I just tried taking a picture with an A lens, so no need for the AF assist pre-flash, and didn't see any pre-flash while using just the pop-up flash. The picture was metered correctly, just not in focus (I didn't try to focus) - I think the pre-flash is too fast for me to differentiate.

Or are you talking about using an external flash wirelessly, and the flashes that the in-camera flash uses to figure things out with the wireless flash? I often see those pre-flashes, but not always.

As you can tell, my knowledge of flashes is pretty limited.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 5:27 AM   #15

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Are you talking about the AF assist pre-flash light?* My K20 definitely works and you can see it (tried with the DA*50-135).*

I just tried taking a picture with an A lens, so no need for the AF assist pre-flash, and didn't see any pre-flash while using just the pop-up flash.* The picture was metered correctly, just not in focus (I didn't try to focus) - I think the pre-flash is too fast for me to differentiate.*

Or are you talking about using an external flash wirelessly, and the flashes that the in-camera flash uses to figure things out with the wireless flash?* I often see those pre-flashes, but not always.

As you can tell, my knowledge of flashes is pretty limited.
I have not even used it for wireless yet.
As I said I am able to take pict with my DL/K100D in a small lightless (pitchdark) room. The preflash lights up the room and fires/meters no problem
This K20D cannot do nothing in the same room as there is zero light for AF. It seems to be metering correctly in low light situation though.

Daniel
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:05 AM   #16

It sounds like you are talking about the AF assist light. That's weird.

My K20 works just like the K100 when you have an AF lens mounted - it flashes a bit to help the focus. It doesn't light up if you have an A lens mounted though (I tried it last night with my manual focus macro lens). What lens did you have mounted? And did you have the camera in auto focus? Mine doesn't light up even if the camera is in AF mode when I've got a manual focus lens on.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:47 AM   #17

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
It sounds like you are talking about the AF assist light.* That's weird.

My K20 works just like the K100 when you have an AF lens mounted - it flashes a bit to help the focus.* It doesn't light up if you have an A lens mounted though (I tried it last night with my manual focus macro lens).* What lens did you have mounted?* And did you have the camera in auto focus?* Mine doesn't light up even if the camera is in AF mode when I've got a manual focus lens on.
My bad.
Somehow that K20D had the AF-C on which would not trigger that preflash. Once I put that back on AF-S , it fires alright. No wonder it metered properly.
I am learning

Daniel
Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:02 PM   #18

Interesting find - never thought to check the AF-C mode. Thanks for posting that little tidbit of information.