Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 7, 2008, 5:22 PM   #1

I decided to split up the topic of water - there's just too many interesting places to show.

Upper Falls (Yellowstone River):

Where there's an upper falls, there's always a Lower Falls:

There's an overlook to a spot just above the upper falls. Here's a shot looking down them. It can give you some idea of the power of the water going over these falls. This picture was taken by my husband using the K100 and DA*50-135:

Firehole Falls:

Firehole Falls, a little closer:

Gibbon Falls:

There are a number of other water falls in the park. Water plays a big partin the geography.

P.S. - no one picked up on my mistake, calling the Yellowstone River the Yosemite River? I know I'm not the only one but I can't tell you how many times I've said the wrong one when talking about them!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:01 PM   #2

Fantastic shots, I love the rainbow.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 12:54 PM   #3

The last shot is outstanding - the contrast in lighting really works. However, I think I like Dan's s shot best - you will make a photographer out of him yet (some of his other shots are really pretty good, too)!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:30 PM   #4

What's interesting is that the two of Firehole Falls looked OK on my home monitor, they look terrible on the monitor at work. I thought about deleting them from this set, but perhaps they will show how difficult taking decent pictures of water falls can be (and how they can go so badly wrong).

Dan enjoyed taking the pictures - he has a natural eye. He made a number of mistakes with pictures that would have otherwise been quite good, and he found that a longer focal length and slow shutter speeds are difficult ("how do you not shake?"). If I had taken the one of the falls with the rainbow, I'd probably enter it in this month's motion challenge as I think it fits the subject more than anything I took over the week. It's amazing how someone with zero photography experience can take excellent shots with the K100.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:49 PM   #5

That place is just amazing, and it seems you've got material for montly challanges for years to come (if there wasn't the 60 days clause). Pat Dan's back from me, a pity he didn't discover his talent years ago being married to such a splendid teacher. I reckon he appreciates now how he found that perfect gift to his fiancee back then.:love:

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 5:35 AM   #6

Great shots Harriet! It was my wife's request for a "better camera" that caused me to research and buy the K100d, so I can't claim that I am introducing her to photography. It sure has been more fun now that we both have our own cameras, though. I agree with you, there is something to be said for having a good eye for composition and worrying less about the technical end of photography and your husband's shot is great too.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:42 PM   #7

I guess Dan and I have come full circle - he gave me my first SLR when he was a boyfriend trying to impress his girl. Now I'veloaned him one and he's finding out about the fun he can have - something I discovered way back then.