Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 8, 2008, 6:19 AM   #11

How about this version (I will have to clone out some of the marks on the floor, my "studio" is actually the local theatre). The massive DOF of the 14mm means the couple is sharper than I would have liked.

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 11:04 AM   #12

Hi Ira,

FWIW ihere is my take on the image:

I cropped the image using the rule of thirds and I got rid of some extra background that for me was distracting.

I cut out the bouquet, copied and pasted on the image. The selecting was not that great as I had to use my laptop with no mouse, but you get the idea.

I then used Gaussian Blur (.5) on the background to make it just a bit softer, flattened the image and here you go.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 11:27 AM   #13

Ira,

I like you shots a lot. The Black and white shots appeal to me.

The only comment I have concerns the Bridal Party shot: is there a way you can reduce the distration of the stools. The one on the left IMHO is very distracting..unless you did that intnetionally of course.

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 8:04 PM   #14

Wow, that is tough Ira. The whole idea of photographing people professionally is scary (now if someone wants portraits of an insect . . .) and you have to take any input I have with the understanding that I am not qualified to offer it.

I like the idea in the first shot but I think it will either need a large print or you would need to be closer to the groom so that the rear groomsmen are of significant size in the print. (Portrait perspective maybe?)

I also like the bride lit by the window, perhaps a little dodging on the shadow side of her face?

I agree with Feroz about the stool in the bridal party shot, I also think you might have layered them more and tightened up the width of the group for a closer shot.

Stairwell, eh, not so much.

Bouquet, I like this shot best and of the two I prefer the shot with the bride and groom in better focus. If this was an advertising shot I would say make them soft and "generic" but for a wedding album I think the deeper focus works better. I also prefer the horizontal shot vs the angled one.

My hat is off to you for doing something with photography that would terrify me. Even more, it is cool that you are doing something artistic with it. I would love to see more of your shots as you develop your business.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:10 PM   #15

My hats off to you, Ira and Annette. Today, having just done my first photo shoot of someone besides family or goofing off, I know the pressure I felt. And, I only had one person and a mom to deal with. To have to deal with all those people!

Oh, I can't see the photos now. From memory, I do like the first composition of the guys. Too bad the sky wasn't so blah. I, too, agree. A tighter shot on them would have been nicer.

I like the idea of the bride. But, I think I would have turned her just a little bit less. Maybe 70--75ยบ angle. A little more flattering for her. I love the lighting of the shot.

The bridesmaids I like, too. But, maybe since it looks like you didn't have much room to work with, if it had been taken at a little more of an angle they wouldn't look so compacted. Very nice idea though rather than just posing in a line. I like it.

I also like the idea of the bouquet up front with the couple faded in the back. Good job on them all. It can't be easy to get everyone the way you want, smiling and all with such tension of the whole event. I was only shooting a single high school senior. Except for the fact that we were at the edge of a small park at a very busy intersection in town and cars kept driving by honking or kids yelling out the windows at us, it was very relaxed.

Btw, take mycomments with a grain of salt. I think it's because I just looked through my 100 or so shots I took this afternoon and am picking apart each one about what I should have done differently. Because I took them in the shade rather than full sun, I'm a little disappointed in the sharpness of them. I've adjusted them in PSE5 and printed out a few. But, my printer is running out of ink. So, hard to tell on some. I may need to go reread everything I had collected on portraits. I still have to do his brother and them together. And, another friend of theirs wanted his done, too. Although, he may change his mind after seeing what I did with Sean.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:27 AM   #16

Sorry to revive this topic but I would like to thank everyone for their comments, I am using some of the suggestions in editing the shots.

Ira
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:21 PM   #17

Hi Ira,

You have some nice shots here, I believe the B&G will be please. I've been shooting some weddings (paid work) last summer and was just wondering what kind of lens you carry on your shoots along with your k10.

So far I'e found that im using my DA16-45, 50-200, and DA10-17 fisheye most. my clients have been pleased with the shots, but I think I need to get better lenses if I continue to shoot weddings like DA*16-50 and DA*50-135.

Thanh
tdotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 7:13 AM   #18

tdotho wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ira,

You have some nice shots here, I believe the B&G will be please. I've been shooting some weddings (paid work) last summer and was just wondering what kind of lens you carry on your shoots along with your k10.

So far I'e found that im using my DA16-45, 50-200, and DA10-17 fisheye most. my clients have been pleased with the shots, but I think I need to get better lenses if I continue to shoot weddings like DA*16-50 and DA*50-135.

Thanh
I agree on the better lenses, I had the kit DA18-55 and a Sigma 24-135 but was never completely happy with the results, now I use all primes, the FA50, FA35 and DA14 at this last wedding. I would get the DA* zooms if I could afford them. I the church I carry the K10 with the 50mm and the DS with the 35mm since I do not have the luxury of a good zoom.

From everything I have read and seen the DA*16-50 and 50-135 would give the sharpness needed and add the flexibility of zoom. There is however no replacement for the FA 50mm f1.4, this is a must have lens when there is time to use it.

Ira
Old Oct 31, 2008, 2:54 PM   #19

Hi Ira and anyone else who has input,

I have another question for you. I think we have similar setup and gear. IST DL and K10d and I'm pretty sure that I want to upgrade my lenses to further my wedding coverage. Which direction would you go - 1) get the DA* 16-50 and DA*50-135 or 2) get the 3 primes (limited) lens.

I'm really at the crossroads of my next move in lens purchase, and i'm not sure which direction I want to go. Currently I have lenses that cover 10mm (fisheye) to 200mm, and I do have a decent portrait lens FA50, but each lens can be upgraded with the exception of the fisheye.

Thanks for the input.

Thanh
tdotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 3:59 PM   #20
Super Moderator

I'm not an expert on Pentax lenses so can't comment on that but I will raise one thing that hasn't been as yet. Do you have a back up of everything? If you don't then different lenses are not the next most important thing. If you are being paid for this game then you want at least 2 of everything, body, lens coverage (the important lengths), flash etc etc. You are the pro photog to the couple and this is their big day, you can't lose the ability to shoot part way through for any reason so cover yourself.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote