Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:03 PM   #21

Hi Mark,

I do have backups of everything! 2 bodies, and various backup lenses that cover 16-200mm (although not the greatest lenses) I also have 3 wireless triggers to go with 2 of my flashes, and I am working to get a second setup of umbrella and light stand, I also have a tripod that I never bring! and multiple batteries and chargers that I bring.

PLUS. I also shoot with a colleague at every wedding, either a NIKON guy or a CANON guy.

Thanh
tdotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:08 PM   #22
Super Moderator

That's great, Ijust wanted to check as many people don't cover themselves. Would love to see some of your work.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 7:53 PM   #23

Hey Mark,

Here are some samples of my work thus far. Its a work in progress I guess.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...34&forum_id=80

Thanh

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
That's great, IĀ*just wanted to check as many people don't cover themselves. Would love to see some of your work.
tdotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:13 AM   #24

tdotho wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ira and anyone else who has input,

I have another question for you. I think we have similar setup and gear. IST DL and K10d and I'm pretty sure that I want to upgrade my lenses to further my wedding coverage. Which direction would you go - 1) get the DA* 16-50 and DA*50-135 or 2) get the 3 primes (limited) lens.

I'm really at the crossroads of my next move in lens purchase, and i'm not sure which direction I want to go. Currently I have lenses that cover 10mm (fisheye) to 200mm, and I do have a decent portrait lens FA50, but each lens can be upgraded with the exception of the fisheye.

Thanks for the input.

Thanh
Thanh

I think that for a wedding the flexibility of the two zooms is probably more useful than the slight image advantage of the primes. In my case I did not have the option of the DA* zooms, they were too expensive, so the difference in quality between my cheap consumer zooms and the primes was very easily seen. The DA* zooms should give you quality comparable to primes with only the loss of one or two stops of lens speed instead of the 2 to 4 stops that I was losing.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:36 AM   #25

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
I'm not an expert on Pentax lenses so can't comment on that but I will raise one thing that hasn't been as yet. Do you have a back up of everything? If you don't then different lenses are not the next most important thing. If you are being paid for this game then you want at least 2 of everything, body, lens coverage (the important lengths), flash etc etc. You are the pro photog to the couple and this is their big day, you can't lose the ability to shoot part way through for any reason so cover yourself.
Mark

I agree with the point that you are making, between us my wife Annette and I have three camera bodies at work with different lenses. Except for the 14mm and the 100-300mm (which I have never used at a wedding anyway) all other focal lengths are duplicated as zooms. Last wedding Annette used a 24-135mm Sigma while I used the FA 35mm f2 and the FA 50mm f1.4. The Sigma has now been retired from that job by a much sharper FA 28-70mm f4, but it will stay in the bag just-in-case.

Newfoundland has a population of only about 500,000 people. Outside of St. John's, Mt. Pearl, Corner Brook and Conception Bay South most townshaves than 10,000 people. The wedding market here is much different from places with higher population density. As a beginner I can only charge about $600 for a digital package which includes 100 small proofs and a DVD of images (usually between 200 and 300). Established photographers who offer a fuller service including enlargements and albums can charge from $1500 and upand retain there files for future income. There are very few of the $10,000 jobs available here, and they are quickly covered by a very small group of established professionals. This means that most of the "budget" wedding market is taken up by weekend warriors who usually have even less equipment than I do.

I typically only shoot three or four weddings a year, I do not want to be a full time wedding photographer since it would mean that every summer weekend would be taken up (this would not go over well with Annette since she still has a full time Monday to Friday job). I have seen weddings shot by photographers who had only one camera, one lens (usually a normal range zoom) and one on-camera flash (a scary proposition, perhaps they depend heavily on the power of prayer).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote