Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 7, 2008, 5:49 PM   #1

Water plays a huge part in the scenery in Yellowstone. It provides a constantly changing landscape.

This isn't so much dancing water as it is mud (but you have to have water to make it mud, so it fits into this topic). This was taken by my husband using the K100 and DA*50-135, a combination he used the whole week.

Sometimes the dancing water is small:

Sometimes it's dancing way over your head:

Sometimes it's mostly steam:

Sometimes it's in tandem:

Sometimes by itself:

Sometimes it's dancing with color:

These were taken at various geyser basins, not all at the same place. There is so much more to Yellowstone than Old Faithful.

I like to take pictures early in the morning, so we arrived at the parking lot by Old Faithful around 7:30 in the morning. As we were walking toward the boardwalk, I noticed alarge geyser going off, so we stopped and took some pictures. While we were admiring it, Old Faithful erupted right in front of us(the tandem picture, Old Faithful is the one in the middle and I never did figure out what the large one on the right was). That picture was taken by Dan. The next picture is also Old Faithful, I took that one with the 77 Ltd - it was too long to get both geysers in the frame and I didn't want to take the time to change lenses.

Yellowstone is an active geothermal area, the scenery has lots of hot springs, geysers, fumeroles, steam vents and mud pots scattered throughout.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2008, 5:57 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Beautiful Images...Kudos to your husband too! Looks like you had a perfect day and perfect lighting to capture this dramatic scenery. Yellowstone is on my bucket list...it's just a long way from KY! For now, I'm defintely enjoying it vicariously through your photo journal on this forum!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 6:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the compliments. These were taken on a number of different days, in different locations within the park. We had good weather most of the time, though two days were somewhat cloudy.

I'd like to add one more - it's another small one but I like the picture. Taken with the K20 and 77 Ltd. I only used the macro lens once or twice, mostly I used the 12-24, 77 Ltd and the A*300. They were enough for most things and there were only a couple of times when I wished I had the 50-135 on the camera, or used the kit lens (yes, I did use it a couple of times, though not often).

Old Sep 7, 2008, 7:18 PM   #4

I love these Harriet,
It's been a lot of years since I saw Yellowstone. Nice job!
GW :bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 7:21 PM   #5

Very nice, Harriet. Next time we're in Wyoming I hope to go there. Just wasn't enough time our last trip.

I really like the last photo. So much to look at.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2008, 11:04 PM   #6

More great shots, what fun you must of had.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 8:11 AM   #7

Even if you just have a day or two in the area, it's worth a visit. We spent most of the week exploring the area and there's more that I'd like to visit next time. There is a lot to do and see - more than just the geyser basins.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:30 PM   #8

@Harriet:

Nice shots. Looks you and your husband had a great vacation. I noticed in some of your other shots that he is a little on the tall side, and you are a little on the.....shall we say, not so tall side? :-) My wife and I have the same differences -- she is 5' even, and I'm 6'5".

BTW, I noticed in the IExif data you have entered your name in the copyright line. Can you tell me how you did this? I've looked at it several times, but haven't been able to figure it out.

tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:49 PM   #9

You two have even more differences than we do - Dan is only 6 foot and I'm 5'1".

I use Lightroom to put in the copyright line. I tend to forget about it - I like some of Lightroom's development tools so I use it all the time. I use it to transfer photos from the card to the hard drive, automatically add my name to the exif data on a copyright line and import them into Lightroom. That lets me look at thepictures, sort through them to toss out the obvious mistakes, then adjust things I might want. If all of the pictures have the same error (perhaps exposure or white balance), I can correct one and then paste that change to allof them at the same time. There are other programs you can use to edit the exif information, but I've never played with them.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 8:10 PM   #10

Thanks for the info. I have seen other photos with the shooter's name in the copyright line, but wasn't sure how to add it.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote