Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 8, 2008, 5:13 PM   #1

On behalf of my in-laws, I would like to remind everyone that St. Pat's Day is a mere 6 months & (less than) 9 days to go. As my father-in-law likes to say, "You can never be too prepared for St. Pat's!"

Yesterday, the local chapter of the Lady Hiberians held a Family Picnic to help remind everyone that St. Pat's is right around the corner. My brother-in-law & his buddy helped to keep us entertained throughout the afternoon.The lighting was a little difficult as it was held in thelocal park pavilion. But I thought I would share a little of the festivities.

My bil on the right!

Tim

His buddy, Wayne, comes from a family of 13 children, who mostly all play one instrument or another. Also, 4 of Wayne's 5 children also, at least, play guitar. Very talented family!!!

Tim's jamming on his tin whistle!

Last, but not least, my little niece, Meghan...enjoyin' Dad's playing!

Hope you enjoy! REMEMBER...start preparing TODAY!!!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:04 PM   #2

That looks like great fun! I really like the tin whistle picture - it's unusual. But all are really good.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 11:46 PM   #3

I can't ever forget that day... It's my wedding anniversary.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 8:55 PM   #4

I am thinking it would be bad form to show up wearing orange? :-)

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 5:51 PM   #5

Harriet,

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, it was a very enjoyable day. We were also entertained by a group of young Irish dancers but, unfortuneately, the extreme lighting conditions did not provide for any post-worthy captures.

Mike,

You definitely have a good reason not to forget St. Pat's! Was that planned? Was the bridemaids' dresses green by chance???

Tim,

I didn't even think about that until you mentioned it but I DID wear an orange shirt. These folks weren't too concerned with that aspect as they were that that it was an Irish flag color. So, for a person of German descent, I was still welcomed.:G
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:52 PM   #6

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Mike,

You definitely have a good reason not to forget St. Pat's! Was that planned? Was the bridemaids' dresses green by chance???
Yes, it was planned. St Pat's day just happened to fall on a Saturday on the year we were planning on getting married. My wife if the one who is part Irish and she suggested it. I definitely thought it was cool and we made that choice. And yes, the bridesmaids did have green dresses. Haha.

The weather however was not what you'd want on St Pat's day though. We ended up getting a snow storm that start on Friday and stopped late Saturday night. Thurs and Sunday were nice and sunny, go figure. Doesn't matter though, people showed up and had a great time anyway.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:56 AM   #7

No, I am not Irish, but I have an Irish connection. The Colleges of Engineering at the University of Missouri statewide system have for years celebrated St. Patrick's Day. The tradition arose in about 1904 when an engineering building was being built on the Columbia campus. A myserious stone plaque was uncovered during the building excavations. The plaque attested to the fact that St. Patrick is the Patron Saint for all engineers since St patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland, snakes are really just big worms, and St. Patrick had initiated the first "Worm Screw", which everyone knows is an engineering development.

Each year the Engineers at MU take most of a week off from classes, have a beer bust, do a parade with floats, have a queen contest, have a ballroom dance, award prizes for several categories of engineering contests, and conduct some outrageous feat. One year, when I was in the college, a farm wagon mysteriously appeared on the dome of Jesse Hall, the administration building. Another year it was a green goat tethered to the spire of that dome. Each year there is a knighting ceremony honoring new Knights of St. Patrick. St Patrick himself appears, as does the stone plaque which started it all. The plaque appears in a cloud of steam, then disappears in steamfor another year until the next year's appearance.

My wife and I are both Knights of St. Patrick, a rather unusual circumstance. I was honored because I was very active in engineering societies when on campus. My wife was not an engineer, but was honored many years after I was because she was President of the Board of Curators for Missouri University, and, I suspect because she was the wife of an engineer (Me), the daughter-in-law of an engineer, the sister of an engineer, the sister-in-law of an engineer, and the aunt of an engineer.

So we salute Irishmen whereever they may be, and particularly St. Patrick, our Patron Saint.

What has this to do with Pentax Lenses? Not a lot, except I used my favorite Pentax lens at several knighting ceremonies to record the events over many years.

And I have a question about that lens. It is an SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.4. It is my sharpest lens when used in its middle apertures. I see that there are numerous Pentax 50mm f/1.4 lenses, but with "A", "M", "F", "FA", and Takumar designations. Can someone tell me whether the optics for all of those f/1.4 lenses are essentially the same? I want to know because, if there is another with better optics than mine, I will try to acquire it.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote