Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:41 PM   #1

Yellowstone has such interesting colors. The colors reflect the temperature of the water - different microbes live at different temperatures. It was all very fascinating - here are a few samples:

Norris Geyser Basin (K20, DA 12-24):

Also Norris Geyser Basin (K20, DA 12-24):

Emerald Pool (bet you can guess how this pool got its name!), K20, DA 12-24:

Black Sand (Black Sand Pool, the pool is very blue but the sand around it is black), K20, A*300:

Can't remember the name of this pool, I think its located in the Black Sand Basin:

Grand Prismatic Spring:

K20, DA 12-24:

These are but a small portion of the various types of colors that are present in the park. They just happen to be some I like or thought they did a good job of showing some of the different colors.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:46 AM   #2

Hi Harriet

Especially like this set of your vacation photos. We really enjoyed Yellowstone last year. Agreat asset for photographers. Cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 2:22 PM   #3

Glad you liked visiting Yellowstone - it is a photographer's paradise, isn't it? These last two series (colors and patterns) are my favorite series, though I think that the picture my husband took of the rainbow at Upper Falls is about as good as it gets for capturing the feel of a subject.

It's been fun putting together these series - it gave me a different perspective on the pictures I took. I'd like to go back and do some things differently - lookabout myself somemore. I'm usually one who looks for new angles and a different take on things, but got pretty caught up in recording the "big picture". I missed a lot by being too focused on what was in front of my face. On the other hand, I was really overwhelmed by what was in front of me - there was just wonder after wonder every day we were there. It's not that I'm disappointed with my pictures (how could I be?), it's just thatI think I could have done more. I needed to stop being the technician and start being more creative - a good lesson for me.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 8:58 PM   #4

Very neat color and texture shots there Harriet. I also note the absence of crowds of people, were these locations further off the beaten path or have the crowds thinned out? Thanks for sharing your vacation with us, looks like you had a wonderful time.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:52 PM   #5

The crowds were fairly thin, but I had been told that was a possibility. School had already started in Wyoming and some other states, along with a number of colleges so the huge crowds were missing mid-week. The crowds were starting to pick up by Thursday and I'm sure that Labor Day weekend would have been busy (we were gone by then). It worked out well for us - the weather was good and the crowds weren't bad at all, a good time to visit.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:09 PM   #6

Quote:
I'd like to go back and do some things differently - look about myself some more. I'm usually one who looks for new angles and a different take on things, but got pretty caught up in recording the "big picture". I missed a lot by being too focused on what was in front of my face.

I kow what you mean - I was much the same way - always looking for the picture when I travelled, rather than just soaking it up and enjoying the sights. However, when the memories start to fade, you will have your pictures to rekindle them, and you will be forever grateful you did sucha good and thorough job. There have been books published with photos of these same places, but few are any better - or even as good as these. Well Done, Harriet. These have been superb.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:26 PM   #7

Thank you, Penolta, for such high praise. Yes, Yellowstone is one of the most photographed national parks in the US, and it is very hard not to repeat what has already been published. I'll probablylook back on these pictures in a year or twoand see much more in them than I do now, and feel satisfied rather than wistful about not beingmore unique in my approach (that's pretty normal for me - always looking for a better way of doing things).
Old Sep 11, 2008, 6:54 AM   #8

I'm getting red x's for your photos here right now. Will come back later to see if they show up.

But, wanted to say I know how you feel about taking vacation photos and thinking later how you should have done things differently. I had the same experience with Wyoming. We wentto Laramie in 2004 and I took hundreds of photos, on film at the time. Now when I look at the photos, I see more creative angles I could have taken some at, etc. And, would have liked to have been by myself rather than with a crowd. I was always trying to hurry so we could get on for them. There was just so much beauty there.

Anyway, you've done a fantastic job on all I have seen. You've inspired me to do a Quebec photo story once I get a little of my time back.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:00 AM   #9

I and my wife, really enjoyed all of these Harriet. This is one of the places the wife has dreamed of going. One day maybe...If our health holds out.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 2:40 PM   #10

Patty - Zenfolio was doing some maintenance work early this morning, that's why they didn't show. They should be showing now.

Dawg - there are lots of places in the east, along will many more throughout the world that Dan and I dream of visiting. We'll make it east one of these days, but it might have to wait until we retire (or the price of plane tickets and a rental cargoes way down).