Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 10, 2008, 5:41 PM   #11

Patty,
Yes, the golden hour is the first and last hours of light during the day. It really is not an "hour" and the length of time that the light seems most conducive for portraits seems to vary with the time of year and weather. We have done Christmas portraits of our kids the last couple of years and this has been the time that works best (lacking more sophisticated lighting solutions than a single flash gun). My experience is really limited though, I am more of a bug guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hour_(photography)

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 10:38 PM   #12

Thanks for the input, Tim. I've spoken to the mom and told her if she'll allow me to redo them they will print better as 8 x 10's. Looking at these now, it looks like I may have done too much saturation work to some of them.

Harriet, I thought I'd already responded to this about the reflector, but.... Anyway, we were using a reflector, but the momkept moving it sort of playing "peek a boo" with him to get him to smile. I hadn't noticed she was moving it so much until the end of the session.

I did find a better, less busy, location also. Less distracting items around. A gazebo that is brown, not white and less intrusive birch trees. Won't be Monday though as it looks like we'll be getting the remnants of Ike. Maybe the Monday after that. (It's his one day off.)

Thanks again, Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2008, 4:14 PM   #13

I like to take a few "Headshots" for the yearbook-usually they have to be 2x3 prints which are easy to convert from 4 x 6's. Then I take the Senior Portrait (for the Mom's Mantle) with the kid's props-I separate the two shots so they can have choices. This one was taken with a DS using DA 50-200, onboard flash to trigger a Pentax A500 FTZ in the Slave mode, set at 1/16 power using a Harbor deflector (makes the eyes "pop" I only take these shots in full shade-the sun is my enemy-too many "hot" spots to contend with.
Attached Images

DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 7:40 PM   #14

This is very nice, DMJJR. These students already have their yearbook photos. Those were taken at the school. The ones I'm taking are the "mantle shots" as you called them, family share and for the kids to pass around to their friends. Not sure when we're trying again.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote