Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:29 AM   #1

I did the first of the three seniors photos yesterday. Looking for additional feedback besides my own critiquing. The following four are ones I randomly selected to work on. Composition-wise I think they are okay. But, I'm having problems with the lighting.

Ican still do some work in PSE5 where I select the tree for example and darken it only. These were done quickly last night just to get something to work with. All were shot in RAW and processed through PSE5. All were cropped to 8 x 10. Some were cropped quite a bit as I liked them better closer in than I'd originally shot. There is a cemetery behind that wall that I was trying to keep the stones out of the photo. And, we had to deal with passing cars with the ones at the gazebo.

Anyway, any advice gladly accepted. Should I shoot a little later in the day? This was between 4 and 5 p.m. It's what worked best for his school and work schedule.

I plan on working on them a little more tonight after I get home but wanted some initial input until then.

Patty

p.s. I realized after I got home that I had them as CWA metering.I'd thought they were on spot and was selecting a spot to meter offof and recomposing.

I'm also having problems resizing these to get them small enough to post here. Usually I take them into PSE5 and using the "save for web" option, set to 800 pixels on longest side and adjust quality slide down until they are just under 250kb. Some of these I'm having togo down to 10% quality ???? So, resized some using the resizer tool in WE.

Attached Images

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:32 AM   #2

#2 This one definitely needs some work.
Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:33 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:35 AM   #4

#4 I know I need to do something about the shine on his head in this one. Had just done quick adjustments so far. I may have another shot that isn't so bad. I took about 100 shots yesterday.
Attached Images

Old Sep 9, 2008, 12:00 PM   #5

Hi Patty

I am at work and not on the greatest monitor. I am Not Crazy about #1. I Sort Of like #2. I Think 3 And 4 are the best Shots.
One thing that i might suggest For Shot one and two Is find a different tree for the pose. In My Mind Anyway the White Birch tree is reflecting the Sun and play havoc With the Exposure. In Both pictures the Young mans face Looks to be under exposed at least on this monitor. A closer Crop might Help also
Otherwise I Like the poses you Chose Especially 3 and 4.
I'll Check tonight and see what Its like on My Calibrated moniter at home

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 12:25 PM   #6

I will comment more on these when time permits.

The first two I would not consider doing much work on them due to the first having too many blown highlights all over the place. I would suggest than full length pants over shorts for Senior Portrait type shots. I know this is casual but for Senior Portrait shots it would not in my opinion make it for a portfolio.

The second shot is just plain out of focus on the subject and the background is in focus instead.

Strive for some DOF in your shots so the subject stands out over the background.

Mahalo,

Tom

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 2:45 PM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I like #4..the lighting and emphasis on the face is good.

The rest (IMHO) have backgrounds that are too distracting. As Tom suggested, try using a shallower DoF in order to blur the backgrounds. Use a long lensand a large aperture which should result in a nice bokeh.You may also try a Gaussian Blur filter as part of PP. Also in #2, the knees and legs seem to dominate the image over the face.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:11 PM   #8

In my limited experience dappled light looks much better to the eye than to the camera, I think this is the biggest drawback to #1. #2 does have a missed focus problem, I also think moving your subject into the light might help. I would pick #4 as the best.

My advice, and I have never tried doing portraits of anyone outside my own family, would be to try again during the "golden hour" and perhaps add a couple of simple props that reflect the subject's interests or personality (books, sports balls or equipment, etc).

I think this is a definite learning experience and every time you shoot you are likely to improve.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:51 AM   #9

Thanks for the input everyone. I, also, wasn't crazy about the first two shots. But, the mom had wanted a full body shot and she has another son that had a shot like #2 she liked.

My mistake on thinking the birch tree would make a good prop. I figured it would give me a different background rather than just gray rocks and brown trees.

Tim - you said the golden hour. When is that? Just before sunset.? I had told them they could bring a sports ball for whatever their sport or something, but he had opted not to.

Tom - I agree on the second shot being out of focus. I hadn't noticed itwhen I was processing. Sometimes I can't tell if things are out of focus or it's my glasses. Probably because I had the camera set up differently than I thought. I usually shoot on spot everything (meter and focus), but Ihad changed for something different and hadn't changed it back. Will have to pay more attention to that in the future. The mom was letting them wear what they wanted. I had just asked that it be something solid. I was surprised to see him in shorts when I saw all the mosquitoe bites on his legs.

Regarding the DOF, I was using the 18-55 lens. I kept setting at the lowest f-stop # to get DOF. But, maybe needed to stand closer to the subject. I'd have to go look at what mm I was at in each of them. There were so many things for me to try to remember, I obviously wasn't very good at it.

So, my lesson - Full body shots are going to be tough. Shoot later in the day. Use a different lens for some shots. It seemed when I looked for tips on what lens length, they were all over the place. So, I just stuck with the one. Check my camera settings before shooting.

Question - would metering off his skin probably be okay? I kept trying to find something neutral colored (not the shirt or the tree), to meter from (remember, forgetting I wasn't on spot metering.)That way I could focus on the face.

He has agreed to meet again in case these hadn't come out. So, looks like back to the drawing board. Practice makes perfect, right. Well, maybe not perfect, but better.

Thanks again, Patty
Old Sep 10, 2008, 2:06 PM   #10

Bearing in mind that this is an area of photography I have absolutely no experience in - but in the instance of the second one (especially), wouldn't using a reflector help? Maybe a gold tinted reflector? That way you could even out the lighting on his face without putting him in brighter sunlight. I'd be interested hearing from those who do this type of thing on a regular basis to know whether this idea has merit or not.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote