Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:03 PM   #11
PDL

Nicely done, it is good to hear that quality work is being recognized out there.

As for your comment about the director not picking what you thought were the best shots ---- That is what editors/curators/directors/owners are for. I have run into this situation several times, from workshops, randoms shots, PPG, the photo challenges here, talking to other photographers and contests at other sites. My favorites have very rarely been chosen as the best of what I have. Sometimes I have to question the "choosers" and really try to see what they do. I have had quite a few of the ones I thought would be second/third/never choices get picked out as keepers while my personal favorites get brushed over.

It is best to get other peoples advice/direction on what to pick. Sometimes our choices are just ho-hum (Gee you have taken 300 frames of that 'thing' - give it up - it is not all that interesting). It is easy to become predictable and have your own style become common place. It is hard - to pick out the ones that work from someone else's perspective.

I need an editor, someone who will tell me how much more work I need to do - to "get there".

Again, nice to see hard work get recognition - remember don't point out where the flaws are - just learn to say "Thank You". That is the hardest thing for me to do - just accept the kind words and move on (I tend to pick out and talk about all the little things that did not work right -- sort of a "Gee, how could you not be aware of this, that and this other bad thing in the image." -- Which if you think about it, is a subtle insult of the person telling you that they like your image.)

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:50 PM   #12

As an educator, I appreciate your willingness to share with those of good purpose who probably could neither afford professional rates, nor have the skill and wherewithal to do it for themselves. Way to go!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:13 PM   #13

this is great to hear
and who knows where it could end
an exhibition where people could buy prints
and you could sell the ones that you liked< the arty ones

it must be a good feeling to be able to contribute to something you love
and help other to understand and recognise things

keep on clicking

and sharing
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:55 PM   #14

I've been away from the forums for a few days...(don't you hate it when work gets in the way of photography?)..... so my congratulations are a little belated. I can't think of a better nature photographer to highlight, so congratulations, Scott. Your work is consistently excellent and would an asset to any collection.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 6:44 AM   #15

Congrats, Scott and I agree with Paul. Your work is good and deserves the attention its getting.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 3:08 PM   #16

congratulations! your photos on here are some of the very best i have seen. keep up the great work!
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 9:17 PM   #17

I concur with the others here. This is a well deserved kudos to your work. Congrats

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2008, 2:16 PM   #18

Hi GW (again), PDL, Penolta, Gumnut, Paul, Ishino, and Patty,

Thanks for the generous comments!

PDL wrote:
Quote:
remember don't point out where the flaws are - just learn to say "Thank You". That is the hardest thing for me to do - just accept the kind words and move on (I tend to pick out and talk about all the little things that did not work right -- sort of a "Gee, how could you not be aware of this, that and this other bad thing in the image." -- Which if you think about it, is a subtle insult of the person telling you that they like your image.)
This is a VERY good point. I've always thought of my pointing out deficiencies in my images as being self-critical in a positive sense. I can now see that others might take it as looking down on, or being critical of their taste. I will definitely keep this in mind in the future.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote