Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:42 AM   #1

Hi All,

The River Trail Nature Center, Northbrook, IL, one of my new favorite places to shoot birds, has chosen 20 of my photos to use in their bird section, and another 4 to be displayed in their lobby area.

They are just finishing a major renovation, at least tripling their display area, and will have their Grand Re-opening tomorrow.

I had gotten to know the Director and her staff over the course of this spring and summer. I guess they couldn't help but notice a guy with a couple of cameras with "bazooka" lenses either wandering about or sitting for hours near one of their bird feeders.

During one of our conversations where she would point out places where I might find different species, I (show off that I am :-)) offered to show her some of my work, and brought out one of the many binders I have with 5x7 "proof" prints of some my best shots.

One thing led to another, and the end result is that some of my work will become a permanent part of their displays and teaching materials. There's been talk of using some more of my pics to produce a customized bird field guide for the species that can be seen at this particular Nature Center.

A funny aside is that she chose pics that were totally different from what I would have chosen. She was looking at them from an Interpretive Naturalist perspective, showing the birds relating to their environment. I would have chosen different shots that showcased more technical qualities like feather detail, bokeh, and composition. Just goes to show ya -- different strokes. . .:-)

Pretty cool , even if I do say so myself. . . :-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2008, 12:38 PM   #2

Congrats Scott. Well deserved

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 3:18 PM   #3

Way to go Scott!

It's so nice when we get a little recognition for our work. Makes all that money we spend on lenses seem worthwhile.:-)
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 4:17 PM   #4

Awesome!!!!!Of course, it's well deserved, as those of us who hang out here and admire your shots on a regular basis. Give yourself aBIG pat on the back.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:13 PM   #5

Congratulations! It is cool when someone else finds value in your work. Maybe a book deal is not too far behind?

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:18 PM   #6

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
One thing led to another, and the end result is that some of my work will become a permanent part of their displays and teaching materials. There's been talk of using some more of my pics to produce a customized bird field guide for the species that can be seen at this particular Nature Center.

A funny aside is that she chose pics that were totally different from what I would have chosen. She was looking at them from an Interpretive Naturalist perspective, showing the birds relating to their environment. I would have chosen different shots that showcased more technical qualities like feather detail, bokeh, and composition. Just goes to show ya -- different strokes. . .:-)

Scott
Scott

Congratulation. So does it mean that you do not know what you are best in huh?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:43 AM   #7

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
You've got the full right to be proud, Scott. It is nice when someone else find your pictures worthwhile. And we do take pictures because we want people to look at them, don't we? Otherwise there would be little point in removing the lens cap, right?

Congratulations toa well earned recognition.

And congratulations to the visitors who get to see your pictures!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:02 AM   #8

Way to go Scott. Recognition is always a good thing.

Interesting thoughts about the photo selection of the curator. As photographers we have a tendency to get hung up on the technical aspects of the shot, stuff that's onlyimportant to another photographer...not the casual viewer.

Dennis
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:09 PM   #9

Hi Phil, GW, Harriet, Tim, Daniel, Kjell, and Dennis,

Thanks everyone! I just had to brag a little. . .:-)

Daniel -- I think that Dennis summed up how I ended up feeling about the Director's choices. My only real problem was that she chose quite a few pics that were crops from the DS, and it took some PP magic to turn them into good 8x10s:-). Luckily, I've recently developed some pretty good PP tricks to make them look more acceptable to my eye -- and she was very pleased with the results.

This experience has been good for me. I've also been asked to supply some pics for the bird watcher's group at my mother's retirement community. Also, I have an old high school friend who recently retired from teaching at a suburban high school, and he showed some of the pics I had e-mailed him to a few of the current animal science teachers at his old school, and they've expressed some interest also.

I'm not looking to turn this into a money-making enterprise, though a number of friends are encouraging me in that direction (truth be told, I'm just blown away by some of the images produced by pro bird shooters, and really don't think I really come close -- but I do think that I'm improving).

I am feeling pretty good about contributing in a small way to others' appreciation for birds in particular, and nature in general, and I'm very determined to not allow monetary considerations to take the fun out of my hobby. I'm hoping that any notoriety that might be gained with this kind of exposure will help me to gain easier and better access to a wider range of subjects.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:49 PM   #10

I like your attitude Scott!
that says a lot.
GW
:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote