Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:16 PM   #11

That is a big difference and I can see the blue in the first shot when I compare them. Is it just me, though, or does the second one seem to have much less contrast than the first?

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 9:56 PM   #12

The house looks exactly like the bottome picture--a bit of levels work can add contrast.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2008, 2:49 PM   #13

It just struck me to use the opaque plastic cap that normally comes when you buy a camera body (I am sure you can find a throw away one at your local camera store).
It works, We already have at least one lying around, it is cheap. The only drawback I can see is that the you will be limited by the lens diameter. It works well for up to 58 mm.

Next I am going to try opaque plastic from a milk or alcohol bottle.
I am confident I will get similar results.

Feroz

fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2008, 3:42 PM   #14

In the past I have tried:

1. Coffee filters;
2. Gray cards;
3. White plastic container tops.

None of these works as well as the new filter--and I don't work for them or have any vested interest

Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:19 PM   #15

This is good to know.

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 2:43 PM   #16

The one thing that appeals to me about this system is that it fits in frontof mostlenses and you can hang it around your neck withthe lanyard and not have to worry about digging it out everytime. The other popular white balance filter that I have seen slides on your lens, after removing the sunshade andonce you remove it, you need to store it away. The other problem is it only fits one size lens, so you may need several sizes at $100 a pop.

I have also read of the differnet things you can use. One suggestion was the round plastic cover from a Prinkles potato chip tube. One thing you have to wonder is if all these things are calibratedanywhere near close.I believe it's like a lot of things in life. You get what you pay for and a coffee filter or Prinkles lid doesn't cost much, but maybe it is calibrated the same as the ClearWhite filter, but then again, maybe it's not- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote