Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:00 PM   #1

Because I shoot so early in the day (sunrise), I have quite a time with white balance. I know, I know, you can "fix" it in RAW conversion, but I usually mess with it until I can't tell if it's right or way off.

So, I ordered the Clear White White Balance Filter from DigitalPhotographyKits.com.

It was foggy this morning, so I thought it would be a great chance to see how it worked. I took these two shots after setting white balance using the filter. The only Post Processing is a slight touch-up to levels and sharpening. I'm pleased with the result. Hopefully, I'll be able to do some comparisons (auto vs custom using the filter) this weekend.

Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2008, 7:13 PM   #2

Nice job Rick,
I like the look of the fog coming off the water, can be a tricky shot.
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:31 PM   #3

I'll be interested in what your results are going to be. When I was in Yellowstone, I tried to take some interior pictures of where we were staying. The lighting was rather strange and the walls were painted yellow. I did my usual WB adjustment, using a piece of photo paper as my target. I didn't think about putting my coffee filter flash diffuser over the lens and using that for my white balance target - now I wish I had tried both methods. Let us know how the filter works.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:36 AM   #4

Looks spot on. Definitely a good tool you got there to make these captures look as natural looking as if you were there. Good white balance IMHO keeps from going over the top in over saturating a shot. Some like that look though, over saturation that is.

Thanks for sharing the results of this tool with these two shots. I am not a RAW shooter so this is the ticket for shots like these.

When indoor sports comes into season I would like to see the results with this as well.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 5:24 PM   #5

White balance is a good topic and one I think may keep many good pictures from being great pictures. I've often felt that many of my pictures on AWB have a slight cool or blue cast to them and I've tried different things, but haven't come up with a solid fix as Rickst did.

If you shoot jpg's you can switch to cloudy on the white balance, but that doesn't always work and as Rickst said when you try and correct it in post processing, it's kind of a what looks best to you and may not be correct.

I have shot a lot of raw in the past and since I shoot a lot of flowers, I have thought about putting a gray card so it is right at the edge of the picture, so I have something to go by in my converter. I use PPL and they have a gray point setting that you can click an eyedropper on the grayarea and it sets the white balance just right, then crop out the cardfrom the edge of the picture. Sounds simple enough, but it's probably a pain like everything turns into, especially if the winds blowing

I have not messed with this yet and just wanted to get everyones opinion if this is to much trouble or have you tried this orother methods with success. This would only really work well for raw images, I think. I'm not sure if it would work if you were doing a landscape, but it might be worth a try. I'm sure it wouldn't work for action shots or macro on insects. I can't keep those butterflys still anyway. Just think how they would like me putting a gray card next to them and saying smile

The problem I have in shooting flowers is a constant changing white balance as you move from the shade to sun or if you use a diffuser or it's partially cloudy or overcast or a dozen other things. Maybe the way Rickst has come up with will prove to be ahead of the rest and just shoot jpgall the time - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:35 PM   #6

I tried the gray card idea--I took a shot of a gray card in the same location as the "thing" I was trying to capture, and then removed it for the picture. In the RAW converter, I would use the temp and tint from the gray card shot to adjust the other photos. This works well, but I get so caught up in shooting that I don't take the time to shoot the card as the light changes.

The WB filter I bought is on a lanyard, so I can re-do the custome white balance pretty easy.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:56 PM   #7

Rickst - After going to the WB filter webpage and reading the information there, I think this may be the way to go for me also, especially for shooting jpg's. I do like the idea of the lanyard and having it readily available to use. The gray card thing sounds like to much trouble to do all the time. I thank you for bringing this tothe forum'sattention - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 7:40 AM   #8

Thanks for the solution, Rick. My one question is why do Pentax DSLRs have so much trouble with white balance? My two previous Kodak point and shoots were pretty accurate in just about any lighting situation.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 5:21 PM   #9

Here's an example. I drive by this building every weekday morning on my way to work, and I thought it would make a good subject for an Auto WB vs Custom WB test. The first is using Auto WB (K100D with Pentax M 28mm f/2.8)

This one is after setting a custom WB with my new filter...

The Auto WB one has a bluish cast to it while the one set with my WB filter is really close to the actual colors.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 6:21 PM   #10

That's pretty impressive. Thanks!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote