Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:57 PM   #1

Took the wife and my 2 youngest for a walk around Glens Falls located within Williamsville New York. Wasn't a very spectacular day but we still enjoyed getting out for some fresh air. All shots taken with my usual walkabout Sigma 24-135mm lens and *istDL.

Glens Falls, I don't think this turned out that great, I had to do this handheld had to play around a little with it, but I couldn't post this without at least showing the falls:

One of many ducks that was floating around in a pool of water in the park.

Water seeping out of the limestone bedrock.

I personally like how this one turned out. May be nothing, I just like how it looks.

I'm happy to receive any C&C, it's the only way I will get better.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:00 AM   #2

The only thing I see with the falls Mike is the buildings detract from the photo. Cloning them out would help but to me moving to a different spot so they don't show up is a better way. Wonderful photo of the duck. Great color and clarity there. All in all I don't see anything much to complain about with any of these.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 8:19 AM   #3

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
The only thing I see with the falls Mike is the buildings detract from the photo. Cloning them out would help but to me moving to a different spot so they don't show up is a better way. Wonderful photo of the duck. Great color and clarity there. All in all I don't see anything much to complain about with any of these.

Dawg
I agree about the falls. On the other hand, since Glens Falls is smack in the middle of the city the building is a good reminder of where it is. There really wasn't much of a choice of where I could have taken the picture from, the path only went up the one side, the other side of the river is built up right to the side of the small gorge. These are just a few of the total of the pictures I took, most of the other ones were throw aways.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 2:08 PM   #4

I can see why you like that last one, so do I. It's my favorite of the series and VERY pleasing to look at. I like the others, but the last one stands out to me (love these types of shots).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:20 PM   #5

Hey Mike,
I just wanted to say…
Your kids may not know it now but, one day they'll look back and realize they had a really great dad!
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:37 PM   #6

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Hey Mike,
I just wanted to say…
Your kids may not know it now but, one day they'll look back and realize they had a really great dad!
GW:bye:
Especially when it's time to decide on vacation destinations and mom and dad will be pushing for some nice scenic location so I can take pictures and they'll only want to go to theme parks and the beach.

I try very hard to be a good parent. It's not easy as other parents know all too well. I know my kids love me, they like to tell us all the time. I hope my kids know all their lives that we tried to raise them well and love them.And I have at least documented things that may not be there when they get older, things they probably won't appreciate until they are older.

I appreciate the kind words, my wife and I try very hard to be good parents to our children.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:39 AM   #7

MadMikeSS wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:

Dawg
I agree about the falls. On the other hand, since Glens Falls is smack in the middle of the city the building is a good reminder of where it is. There really wasn't much of a choice of where I could have taken the picture from, the path only went up the one side, the other side of the river is built up right to the side of the small gorge. These are just a few of the total of the pictures I took, most of the other ones were throw aways.
I fully understand Mike. The same is true of a lot of the good places here in the small town where I live. The good thing about digital is it is free film and allows us more opportunities to re-shoot everything we see with out reservations and monetary restraints...Just have to find the time.

Dawg
Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Just have to find the time.
.... its called retirement and I'am not there yet, either!

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:44 AM   #9

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just have to find the time.
.... its called retirement and I'am not there yet, either!

I've 7 more years to go. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get there!

Dawg
Old Sep 12, 2008, 9:45 PM   #10

Really nice, Mike. I, too, like that last one. Really makes you stop and look at it. I like the "idea" of the third one, but can't put my finger on it. I think if the water was more in focus (at least it doesn't look in focus on my laptop screen right now), it would intrigue me more. The others are all great. You're right, you can't eliminate the building in the first one.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote