Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:10 PM   #1

My wife will be attending a training class in Lexington KY on Nov 10th. I will be going with her and we plan to stretch it out for several more days of sightseeing and photography. We have been to Carter Caves state park in that area for one day fifteen months or so ago and really liked the area, but have never been there in the fall.

I was wondering if any Pentaxians had suggestions for places worth visiting. Will we be too late for fall foliage? Any other hints or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:37 PM   #2

Check out Keeneland. It'sworld famous for its thoroughbred horse sales. My wife has been to Lexington for work and Keeneland was the place that everyone said she had to see.

http://ww2.keeneland.com/visit/lists...litemsalt.aspx
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 3:57 PM   #3

I am in the Lexington area. Unfortunately you are going to be here after all the leaves have changed and most have fallen.

I can tell you there are 4 interesting topics in the area

1) Horse Farms/Ky Horse Park/Keenland

2) Bourbon Distilleries

3) Red River Gorge

4) Mamoth Caves (kinda down the state from Lex)

What is your interest?
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:57 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I used to live in Lexington and now live 60 miles to the north. I'd add to the list the following:

Shaker Village (Pleasantville--about 45 minutes south of Lexington): http://www.shakervillageky.org/

Downtown itself (many historical buildings withclassic architecture)

Both of the above would be good places to put your camera to use

Jay

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 8:05 PM   #5

Thank you all very much. It is too bad we will miss the foliage but I guess that gives us another reason for a return trip. I have completely fallen in love with eastern KY, I will probably need a second suitcase to carry home the real estate brochures.

I greatly appreciate the tips. Shooting architecture and a downtown area would be very different for me, so I intend to schedule that for her training day. Does Lexington have good public transit? Reading online I found there are supposed to be a couple of large scenic cemeteries downtown, any advice there?

Thanks,
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 9:27 PM   #6

Lexington has Lextran buses. I would hate to count on them as my means of transportation. The Lexington Cemetary is near downtown so you may be able to walk to it and back.

The downtown architecture has never impressed me much however there are some really cool big old houses on second and third street. Not the greatest place to be alone at night but fine during the day.

I am originally from the Ashland area so I am very familiar with Eastern KY. Tell me how far you want to go and I can tell you some things of interest. If you go all the way to Greenup Co there are 2 covered bridges, the remains of 3 pig iron furnaces, and Greenbo State Park. If it is the general lay of the land you like, I would suggest Red River Gorge. It is only about an hour from Lex. Greenup Co is about 40 minutes on past Carter Caves (2 hours from Lex).

Oh there is also a pretty neat little aviation museum at the airport. Wright Pat it is not but it has some really unique stuff. ActuallyWright Patterson Air Force Baseis about 2.5 hours away (Dayton, OHstraight up I-75) and the Air Force Museum at Wright Pat is second only to the Smithsonian.

If you want any more detail, feel free to shoot me a PM. I don't want to bore everyone with points of interest in eastern KY and central KY.:yawn:

Scott

EDIT: Fall colors usually peak about October 15.

sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote