Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:10 PM   #11

To be honest you shouldn't have listed it for working with other cameras unless you were including the adapter. It doesn't matter what you say in the post really, you confused the situation by listing all of the other cameras that with an adapter it would have worked with.

In my opinion by listing the other cameras that it would work with provided you located and bought an adapter is miss leading. The item as you sold it and shipped it would only work with Pentax.

Now you may not have gotten any bidders just listing it as a Pentax product but you wouldn't now have a negative against you which based on your auction would prevent me from buying from you.

At the very least both of you are at fault with this. He didn't read or more likely being in another country and probably not knowing English well simply miss understood and you are at fault for confusing the product.

If your going to sell outside the US or whatever, then you need to keep language problems in mind and don't ever make assumptions. You assumed, he assumed.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 3:03 PM   #12

the first rule about buying on ebay is know exactly what you are bidding on.

obviously theperson didn't know whatthey werebidding on and went into the auction blind.

from the first bullet of the ebay buyer tips:

Learn all you can about the item. Read the item description carefully. Do you understand details about shipping, insurance and payment options? Avoid making assumptions about details that aren't included in the description.

the first negative fb alwaysstings a bit, but don't worry about it. anegative like that is not going to hurt your reputation on ebay as a seller.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 3:31 PM   #13

The other rule is sellers shouldn't be shifty and shouldn't confuse what is being sold in the hopes of getting more bidders.

As I said his is half each parties fault.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 4:57 PM   #14

Give ebay some of the responsibility here also.

When you list an item you get to fill in the listing header information from a selection of drop down choices.

For example:

Camera Technology - choice between FILM and DIGITAL

Camera Type - choice between P&S or SLR

Lens Type - choice between ZOOM or PRIME

It wouldn't make sense to have more than one selection shown - a lens couldn't be a PRIME and a ZOOM at the same time.

So why does eBay allow you to have multiple choices in the "To fit camera brand" field. To me this field should read "Camera mount" and one of the choices should be M42 SCREW MOUNT.

I saw a listing for a used EOS Mountautofocus Sigma zoom lens. In the "To fit camera brand" field it said CANON, MINOLTA, NIKON, PENTAX, and SONY. I did a double take. The photos showed that it was clearly an EOS AF Mount.

Someone who doesn't know anything must have gotten hold of this and researched the SIGMA web site and thought "Available" in all these mounts meant that this one lens would fit all those brands.

So give eBay some of the credit for allowing this listing to be misleading to the uneducated.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 5:32 PM   #15

a200user wrote:
Quote:
So why does eBay allow you to have multiple choices in the "To fit camera brand" field. To me this field should read "Camera mount" and one of the choices should be M42 SCREW MOUNT.
That's a cop out. If it were purely free-form text would you make the same argument? I.E. If I sell a lens on sportsshooter it's all freeform text. If I throw in all the camera mounts is sportsshooter to blame? Sorry, I didn't see the OP claim he added all those cameras by mistake. He knew what he was selling and knew what he was doing. Again, it's unfortunate. But I don't see how ebay takes any of the blame in this one. IMO, blame is between the buyer and seller.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 6:53 PM   #16

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
a200user wrote:
Quote:
That's a cop out. If it were purely free-form text would you make the same argument? I.E. If I sell a lens on sportsshooter it's all freeform text. If I throw in all the camera mounts is sportsshooter to blame? Sorry, I didn't see the OP claim he added all those cameras by mistake. He knew what he was selling and knew what he was doing. Again, it's unfortunate. But I don't see how ebay takes any of the blame in this one. IMO, blame is between the buyer and seller.
No, not really a cop out. Based on personal experience,if someone submitted a complaint that the listing was misleading (and it certainly was) before the auctionendedthey would have removed the listing, regardless of any bids already posted. They did it to me (for a different reason). They are the HTML geeks, you really think that they can't control what gets entered into those heading fields when you compose a listing. They don't have to allow multiple choices or free-form text in those fields. So, if they will go to the trouble of removing a listing once it's already posted, why not put some controls in place to avoid the problem altogether?

You won't convince me otherwise. Ebay has the resources to do some amazing things. They canceleda listing of mine for a used item because it had a manufacturers safety recall notice from 10 years prior to the listing (which I didn't know about).

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 7:25 PM   #17

Well there is a wide range of opinions here. I am going to weigh in one more time as someone who has bought lenses and accessories from Roy before, his descriptions are accurate and you get what you paid for. As I stated earlier, I could understand that Roy's description could confuse the occasional novice. I don't believe, though, that Roy had any intent to deceive anyone but to simply cast a wide net for potential bidders. It would not be fair to characterize that effort as "shifty."

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:07 PM   #18

tim,
i haven't been shifty in a couple of decades(actually more, hate dating myself).. i posted this to see the responses..
i also posted on the other board and replies are about the same.. i got the idea of using that title from a forum somewhere because there are people using the adapters with M42 lenses..me??
i still don't think there was anything wrong with the descrip.. it's probably the translation..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:39 PM   #19

With eBay you have to pitch to the lowest common denominator, that is... Uneducated buyers.

There is not a lot of text in your ad and I believe it would have been easier in the long run to have spent the extra 5 mins of typing and put in the M42 adapter stuff.

As it stands, I believe eBay should review the negative feedback and your original ad and then cancel out the feedback from this guy, he is clearly wrong in stating it won't work with Nikon when your ad does state "with the right adapter this will fit many brands".

As much as I know how you feel having someone ruin your feedback percentage, I believe posting his email address was not right.

PK
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:52 PM   #20

robar wrote:
Quote:
tim,
i haven't been shifty in a couple of decades(actually more, hate dating myself).. i posted this to see the responses..
i also posted on the other board and replies are about the same.. i got the idea of using that title from a forum somewhere because there are people using the adapters with M42 lenses..me??
i still don't think there was anything wrong with the descrip.. it's probably the translation..

roy
You did nothing wrong Roy. The M42 universal mount will fit many brands of cameras. You told no lie. You even stated it needed an adapter for some brands of cameras. Heck even a Pentax needs one. You also offer a return as well. The problem is in selling to some one who 1. Is probably not as camera savy as some. 2. More than likely an Ebay novice. 3. May not speak English very well.
I try to avoid the last one by not shipping to Indochina or to Asia in general. Also when I use the Nikon, Canon..etc. with an M42 universal mount I tell them in no uncertain terms it must have an adapter and it is a full manual lens that with some cameras may not focus to infinity. It is better to assume the ones viewing your auction are total novices to both Ebay and to photography in general. I've even had one ask what a Pentax was. Write the description in as layman of terms as you can and in language a 6 year old could understand and the more experienced will be able to read it as well. You sold and bought more than I have and please don't take friendly advice for more than what it is...friendly advice and one old man's opinion....but we all err in one way or the other and in this case quite without any intention to decieve...but he (the buyer) feels he was decieved and he will feel that way probably forever.So here is the advice ...post descriptions as I stated above and avoid those markets where they may not fully understand your description. Like Alabama for instance!! LOL

Dawg

PS...Bad form posting his email addy....TSK, Tsk, Tsk. LOL

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote