Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 13, 2008, 3:04 PM   #1

Did this camera fail? The Wikipedia Pentax DSLR timeline shows it lasted from 2005- Early 2008.

Amazon and eBay, does not have any of these for sale.

I'm not interested in buying one. Just wanted to know what happened to the camera?

Thanks.
imported-optics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2008, 3:08 PM   #2

A demo/prop was shown at two Photokinas but, so far, it has never been brought to market. There is some speculation that the project is abandoned or at least put on the back burner since Hoya acquired Pentax.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2008, 3:43 PM   #3

According to Impress Watch Pentax has suspended the development the digital era version of its medium format camera - 645 Digital to concentrate on the APS-C digital SLR cameras development. Also, these rumors could be interpreted as the Pentax's intention to roll out full frame DSLR in the future.

here is what the prototype looks like.

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2008, 4:52 PM   #4

Is the sensor in the 645d (prototype) larger then a 35mm format?

Would Pentax have made history in the Digital books if they'd launched this camera?
Old Sep 13, 2008, 5:50 PM   #5

imported-optics wrote:
Quote:
Is the sensor in the 645d (prototype) larger then a 35mm format?

Would Pentax have made history in the Digital books if they'd launched this camera?
Hi IO,

I'm not very well informed on medium format stuff so bear with me. . .:shock:

The 645 format in film was 6cm x 4.5cm (60x45mm) as opposed to 36x24mm for 35mm film. In digital, I believe the sensors were smaller (IIRC 44x33mm with something like 20-35 MP) just as APS-C (24x16) was generally adopted for most 135 sized lenses and bodies.

There were two main reasons for downsizing the imaging sensors, economy (much less waste in the chip mfg process), and performance -- digital sensors need the light to be close to perpendicular to the plane of the sensor surface while film didn't really care. Lenses that performed well with film were sometimes found very wanting when mounted on a 36x24 sensored body, especially at the corners and edges of the frame.

Pentax would only have made history here if they released the 645D at a comparitively low cost (like under $5000 USD), as there are a number of digital medium format options out there - but they are VERY expensive (think @ $10,000+ USD -- for the camera back only -- you still need a compatible body -- like a Hasselblad (which is not exactly cheap by itself either!)).

I know someone would be able to add more accurate particulars if you want them -- I just know enough to have decided long ago that this is not a direction that I can afford to go (in either size or expense), so I've just been peripherally interested.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2008, 8:09 PM   #6

Thank You Scott,

It's as clear as glass now.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 5:57 AM   #7

I decided to look up the price of the Hasselblad camera. The back alone is sold for 7800 Euros, or about 11000 US Dollars. On Nextag, Adorama is selling back, body and lensfor $34,000or $39,000. They are 39 megapixals. I am guessing you could blow up a shot from one of those to about Empire State building size!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote