Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 15, 2008, 5:25 AM   #11

Congrats on the Blue ribbions. I have to agree with Harriet, i love the carousel shot.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 6:35 AM   #12

Thanks, Harriet and Phil. So, I'm assuming you're talking about the second photo. I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one that thought it wasn't for the trash. It just caught my eye and really made me look at it.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:56 AM   #13

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very nice Patty! You have inspired me to do more when I visit the the local County Fair next year. I mostly photograph the horse show. I've submitted several entries for the competition but have not won any ribbons. While I've questioned the merits of those that have won blue ribbons (sour grapes:?), your two entries are definitely deserving of the ribbons! Congratulations!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:52 PM   #14

Hey Patty,
I like all of these! the duckies is a great shot. it would make a good repeated pattern for a 7" border around a nursery or small child's bedroom or even the kid's bathroom.
congrats on the blue ribbons! I think I like the tree the best but it's hard to decide.
also, you need to put a "1" in front of the "20".
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:25 PM   #15

Thanks, Jay and GW.

Jay - I've dragged my camera to the fair in the past, but never actually taken anything. Don't know why. I had the challenge in mind and a homework lesson to do. So, guess this time, a goal.

Re: the ribbons. All the fairs around here use the "dutch" system where everyone gets a ribbon. I must say though, this year there weren't as many blue's as in the past. And, the photo quality didn't seem as high. (Coming from someone who got three. But, who's counting.:-)) Honestly, I don't think there were as many.

GW - Yeah, I do seem to have a tree thing going don't I. Actually, my single tree in the snow is what won the sponsor award last year, too. The others submitted were a building reflection and a swan this year.

It took me a while to figure out what you meant about the "1". But, now I see. :-) I'm not even sure they'll sell for $20. But, they asked and I figured what the heck. Will help pay for more equipment if they sell. I have to give $5 to the fair for every one I sell, though. But, at least it doesn't put me in professional category.

Patty
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:16 PM   #16

the first carousel shot is great
did you pan? use a tripod ?

i think the ducks would make a good jigsaw puzzle

and well done with the ribbons
i hope it inspires you to enter more competitions
a lesson for all of us that dont enter things
you have to be in it to win it

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 7:24 AM   #17

Gumnut - No tripod. Although, I'd wished I'd brought it. Well, it was in the car, I was just too lazy to go get it.:lol:

I was panning on some shots I had tried, but I don't believe this was one. These are the settings - Tamron 70-300 lens at 70mm, f4.0, 1/4 sec, Capture Mode - Auto Picture, spot metering at ISO1600. I had switched to auto because I wasn't having much success trying to figure out what I needed for settings to get the ferris wheel. So, I have a mix of Auto and A/P photos.

You don't win much for the ribbons. I get $6 each for them. Definitely doesn't cover the cost even without a frame. When I have to frame it's a definite loss. But, it's fun.

Patty

Old Sep 16, 2008, 1:35 PM   #18

The second image is indeed a mess, but it just looks good. I have no constructive reasons why, it is just a fun picture to look at! I like it!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 2:30 PM   #19

nhmom wrote:
Quote:

It took me a while to figure out what you meant about the "1". But, now I see. :-) I'm not even sure they'll sell for $20. But, they asked and I figured what the heck. Will help pay for more equipment if they sell. I have to give $5 to the fair for every one I sell, though. But, at least it doesn't put me in professional category.

Patty
:lol: I was wondering if you'd catch that :lol:
definitely don't want to put you in the pro category, they'll start expecting this high quality stuff all the time! :shock:
GW
:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:05 PM   #20

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
definitely don't want to put you in the pro category, they'll start expecting this high quality stuff all the time! :shock:
GW
:bye:
Yeah, real high quality stuff.:G One good thing about my photos. There's still lots of room for improvement. Gives me plenty to strive for. And, this is a great forum for sticking your neck on the line and getting feedback. I enjoy visiting here.

Patty