Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:58 PM   #1

I notice on the lens hood, on the new 55 mm Pentax f 1.4 lens, that there are two letters..."PH"......must stand for Pentax Hoya.

I wonder if the cameras will be called Pentax-Hoya, Pentax, Hoya-Pentax or...Hoya ?

Just idle thoughts.

Hope the cameras will continue to be called ...Pentax.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:22 PM   #2

If I'm not mistaken, my kit lens for my *istDL the hood has part labeled PH something. And that's over 2 years old.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:23 AM   #3

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
I notice on the lens hood, on the new 55 mm Pentax f 1.4 lens,* that there are two letters..."PH"......must stand for Pentax Hoya.

*I wonder if the cameras will be called Pentax-Hoya, Pentax, Hoya-Pentax or...Hoya ?

Just idle thoughts.

Hi Les,

I think that it's just the part # with PH for "Pentax Hood". Personally, I think that the Pentax name will be around for a while, but that also might have a grain of wishful thinking:-) .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:28 AM   #4

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
I notice on the lens hood, on the new 55 mm Pentax f 1.4 lens, that there are two letters..."PH"......must stand for Pentax Hoya.

I wonder if the cameras will be called Pentax-Hoya, Pentax, Hoya-Pentax or...Hoya ?

Just idle thoughts.

Hi Les,

I think that it's just the part # with PH for "Pentax Hood". Personally, I think that the Pentax name will be around for a while, but that also might have a grain of wishful thinking:-) .

Scott
That makes sense, PH for Pentax Hood. :-)I'm probably just anxious as I would like to see that grand old name "Pentax" continue.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:33 PM   #5

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
or Pentoya or Hoytax?

If there is a name change, I hope they show a little more creativity than the resulting merger of Konica-Minolta. They could have used Konolta or Monica -

Throw Sony in the mix and the possibilities are endless - starting with Sonicolta.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:57 AM   #6

Pentyasung?

Sampeyax?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:07 AM   #7

i think theres more chance they will be called SAMSUNG :shock:
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:45 AM   #8

I read in another online forum a comment from a Hoya executive that Hoya intends to keep the name because of it's history and reputation. They didn't say anything about advertising or dealer incentives to keep the brand from disappearing from the American market.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:16 PM   #9

Back in the early seventies when I bought my first Pentax, a Spotmatic II, it was actually called a Honeywell Pentax. So Hoya Pentax would not be a big surprise - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:09 PM   #10

I don't care much what it is called, as long as someone is still producing quality K-mount cameras and lenses. When I first started looking at cameras and developing an interest in photography, Sony had just purchased Konica-Minolta's Dslr line. The K-M folks were full of doom and gloom but I think that purchase is the best thing that could have happened to them.

If Hoya has decided to get behind Pentax and be a competitor in this market, I am happy. If Hoya were to decide to spin the Pentax camera division off and Samsung were to buy it and do what Sony did with K-M, I would be happy. Another strategic buyer I could see would be Sigma. Sigma's camera line up has not made any significant inroads in the market but Sigma makes its entire lens lineup available for its own camera. A Pentax (which at least registers on the Dslr market) and Sigma partnership could be a good thing as well, and I think I would be happy.

There are two battles I see in the Dslr market. Canon and Nikon are fighting for #1, Sony, Pentax, and Olympus are fighting for #3. OK, Sigma and Fuji are fighting for #6 too. Whatever name is printed on the camera, I would like to see a K-mount with Pentax DNA in the #3 spot. I hope Hoya is the company to take us there but if they are not, I hope they sell the Pentax camera division to another company that can as quickly as possible.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote