Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:58 PM   #1

It's neat that this month's challenge is motion. Coincidentally, I've been reading a book about shutter speed (where I got some suggestions about panning). I'm not going to change my challenge picture yet as I like the panning picture, but thought I would post these. I had never actually tried this technique, but after playing a bit at lunch, I think I want to play with it some more, it's fun!

Speeding:

A little slower:

I like this one, too - exploding from in back of the post:

It helps to have a polarizer or a ND filter. There are several other techniques I want to try this month, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:35 PM   #2

Very Interesting!
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 7:27 AM   #3

These are cool, Harriet. Doing this and also making a long exposure and intentionally moving the camera in a circle or something also makes interesting images. A fun technique.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:03 AM   #4

I'm going to try moving the camera some time this month, too, but haven't. The only time I've had anything that worked anywhere close to OK using that was when I was shooting fireworks 4th of July and didn't have a tripod. A couple came out as interesting abstracts. This time I justset the cameraon a cement block and aimed at a very blah scene (a fence partly covered with ivy which hides electrical stuff, next to a parking lot), tried several different shutter speeds and zoomed away. I discovered that having too long of a shutter speed actually worked against an interesting picture - by zooming slower you lose some of the effect. It was a fun exercise.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 2:47 PM   #5

I think you might have been close to ludicrous speed there... Very interesting effect. Keep it up.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:41 AM   #6

I have seen other shots of this zooming effect, I think your first two are the best I have seen yet.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:06 AM   #7

Thanks - the best picture I've seen using this effect was totally different than mine. It was taken with an FZ30, posted several years ago (during the brief month I owned my FZ30), and was taken at night - an historic building with the streaks from the surrounding lighting focusing your attention on the centered building. I don't remember who took it,just the picture.Definitely the mark of a successful picture.

I thought thefirst twowere pretty successful because of thedappled lighting and theplay on light anddark. It'sa technique that's rather fun, but one that you need to pick and choose your subject carefully, I think.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:15 PM   #8

Harriet, How did you keep the camera still while you zoomed? Did you just hold it still on the cement with one hand and then turn the zoom with the other? I want details as I have been reluctant to try this!!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 7:09 PM   #9

H,
these are nice. i haven't used the technique since my print days but it's something i need to try again. a lot of the time you can get good results hand holding.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:06 PM   #10

The camera was sitting on the cement block (no tripod), I used one hand to push the shutter and the other to zoom. I should have thought about using the 2 sec. lock-up, but really didn't have much trouble with camera shake causing problems (it isn't like you are taking a sharp picture where any movement would be visible). I used f22 and a polarizer to get as slow a shutter speed as I could. The one or two I tried at 1 sec didn't work as well with such a well-lit scene (I only had the polarizer to cut the light). It does take a bit of playing around - different zoom speeds create different effects - but it's great fun since its just digital.