Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 16, 2008, 3:04 PM   #1

hi all

when i first set the camera (k20d) to RAW i was using the .PEF files but when i tried loading them into cs3 it didnt recognise them, so i swapped to .DNG and all was well, untill that is i noticed that when i save the picture as a jpgafter editingand click properties nearly all the Exif info was missing, all that was there was the size and the camera make etc.

so ive updated my cs3 and it reads the .PEF's ok now plus when i save as a jpg after editing it keeps all the shooting info which i like, also the .PEF files are 10Mb smaller so it started me wondering whats the point of .DNG at all?

so which do you use and why?
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2008, 3:52 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Haven't seen you here before...welcome to the forum!

I have always used the PEF vs. the DNG (no particular reason).

As for the issue of CS2 reading the file, you probably need to download the most current RAW update for CS3 in order for it to recognize the PEF from the K20D. I had to do the same thing when I tried to use the PEF images from the K20D with PSE5. Prior to this I used PEF images from my DL with PSE without any problems. The PEF format from the K20D is somehow different. You should be able to obtain the update from Adobe's website for free.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 4:58 PM   #3

kazuya wrote:
Quote:
hi all

so it started me wondering whats the point of .DNG at all?
Each camera company has it's own RAW format files which are not readable accross software applications (like the .jpg format). The DNG format is an attempt by Adobe to standardize a RAW format across camera brands, however the concept doesn't seem to be catching on very quickly. This link can explain the concept better than i can:

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 5:50 PM   #4

Hi there,

strange, I have been shooting in dng with the k10d/k20d and haven't had any problems saving the jpg with all the exif data.

did I make the right choise with dng instead of pef, I really can't say, I work a lot with photoshop so dng seemed right. On the other hand dng only supports xmp and I would like to use IPTC to add info.

In the end it doesn't matter that much, as long as I can get more out of the image by shooting in Raw I really don't care.

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:08 PM   #5

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
On the other hand dng only supports xmp and I would like to use IPTC to add info.

Ronny

What is the .xmp? I notice that every once in a while after having worked on a file PEF file and converted into PSE5, I'm left with an .xmp file. I was using the Pentax Browser to view the images before hand and then sometimes converting with it and sometimesinto PSE5 toconvert. Now I'm just using Picasa and converting in PSE5.

Thanks, Patty

p.s. Meant to welcome you kazuya. A friendly group you've joined.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:36 PM   #6

Hi! You've got most of the information above (dng is adobe's way of standardizing raw in an open format, much like what they did with pdf). I've gone back and forth between the two - sometimes thinking that dng will have more longevity than the pef, thinking that pef is better since dng hasn't taken off as well as pdf has. If I'm shooting pef only, I usually save/backup both a pef and a dng file (using Adobe's raw converter program). If I shoot raw+ then I back-up/save both the jpg and pef, without adding a dng too.

I use CS2, not CS3, but the only time I've lost exif data when adjusting dng files is when I've saved the file "for the web". If I resize the file myself then just save (I actually do "save-as" and give it a new name) it doesn't matter which format I've used. The version of Adobe Raw that works with CS2 does not recognize the K20, so I use Lightroom to convert (it doesn't have trouble with the K20's pef files).

P.S. Patty, the .xmp file is created by ACR when you do changes (like adjusting wb or whatever) in ACR. It doesn't change the actual raw file, it makes a "side-car" file that tells Photoshop/Elements what changes you made in ACR. At least that's the way I understand it. If I recall correctly, there's a way you can convert the picture without creating an xmp file but it's been so long since I was able to use ACR, I can't remember how to do it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 6:54 AM   #7

just coming back on the exif - iptc - xmp files/data

exif is good known, the settings of the camera when taken a shot that are placed into the image.

iptc is kinda the same, it contains the exif data, but has place to add keywords location, photographer id and more to the image.
(mostly in raw images, tif to)

because those two have more standards and not all images can contain that data adobe made it's own implementation. XMP

xmp has exif and iptc data but can be extended to contain more data, (don't know who would want to mess with that)

now that xmp data can be written into dng files and for other files it uses sidecar files.
It places a file with xmp extention and the same name as the image beside the image so you can keep xmp data with any kind of file.

IPTC/XMP are nothing more than a way to add data to you images to easily find images and organize them.

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:00 AM   #8

thx very much for all theinfo

i think im goin to stick with the .PEF files just because theyre smaller and im not losing any of the exif data.

ive no idea why i lose the info with .dng because i dont even have to alter the pic, just "save as" and its gone. lol
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:57 PM   #9

I use .JPEG as the file sizes are so much smaller and the photos work for me in that format.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote